General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Troops on trains

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 26 May 2017 19:35

I am traveling down from Northamptonshire to Middlesex via St Pancras now according to all the news reports there soppose to be troops on the trains or was I dreaming I saw one police woman at St Pancras I'm now on the tube so we'll see when I get to Uxbridge the is police there somethimes

Von

Von Report 26 May 2017 19:54

We were at Heathrow yesterday Linda. No troops or police.

I have been at King's Cross when there have been a lot of armed police so it just depends I think.

Linda

Linda Report 26 May 2017 20:04

Have news reports got it wrong then prehaps these reporters are in the wrong place they should be at Heathrow and the big stations

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 26 May 2017 20:07

never play cards with soldiers on a train and never argue over religion or politics....

totally irrelevant to your post, but that was drummed into me when i was young....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 26 May 2017 20:45

There have been two armed police patrolling Winchester for the past few days.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 May 2017 10:18

There won't be enough armed police or soldiers to travel on every train. They'll have to be selective. Ditto places of interest outside of a major city. They will need loo and tea breaks!

We saw some armed police a couple of weeks ago in our local but large shopping centre. Although it's the first time we've spotted them, apparently they make regular patrols.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 27 May 2017 12:17

I think the army is needed to protect its citizens first and foremost so I'd rather see them here at the moment.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 May 2017 12:34

I think one of the first advantages of using the armed forces is they're armed! Whereas most of the police aren't.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 May 2017 13:15

I think we all know that having armed forces in plain sight can in many cases make people feel slightly safer. Don't worry though they're slowly being withdrawn from Monday onwards.

To compare deaths by drug use to deaths by bombs is a bit much though. ALL of those killed by bombs had no choice in the matter. Death by drugs is in some respect down to personal choice albeit it an illness/addiction.

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 May 2017 13:17

In most cases the IRA were literally given a get out of jail free card by Labour no questions asked. Today we have a witch hunt ongoing for the retired armed forces that were involved.

Dermot

Dermot Report 27 May 2017 14:57

Armed personnel travelling on trains/buses incognito might be the best solution.

Genuine passengers & miserable murdering miscreants won't know who is who.

{It wouldn't surprise me if there is a gaping hole in my suggestion.}

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 May 2017 15:23

It wouldn't surprise me if someone points out any glaring holes Dermot :-D

So you're suggesting similar to Air marshals then.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 28 May 2017 09:43

I wonder who that might be :-S :-S :-S :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 May 2017 11:19

:-D

Linda

Linda Report 28 May 2017 16:09

Well I still only saw on policewoman at St Pancras and I would have thought at a big station like that with the Eurostar arriving and departing sort from the other train there would have been more there

I think it's about time our police were armed full time anyway to make us all feel safe

Caroline

Caroline Report 28 May 2017 16:12

Maybe there were snipers or some such out of sight??