General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New and Slightly Nauseating Experience

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jun 2017 22:05

Having been driving for over fifty years, and owning cars for almost as long, yesterday I decided to do something that I have never done before.

I took my car to an automatic car wash establishment.

Fantastic, feed $20.000 note into the machine and off you go; the only problem was that there were so many instructions that I got confused.

Fortunately the car in front had only just gone in so OH went to find someone who could help.

Another slight problem; the windows on the car are electric and the motor suffers an intermittent fault so that sometimes the windows will open, but once open may not always close.....I'm assuming that that is not a risk to take whilst going through a car wash :-(

Got all the details for the machine sorted and waited for our turn.

Drove into the bay and, as per instructions, switched off the engine and applied the hand brake.

Then the 'fun', and the slight nausea, started.

First a giant arm spraying water started to move very slowly, but the experience that I got was that the CAR was moving. As there was so much water being sprayed, I couldn't focus on any fixed point and I began to feel not only slightly sick but also slightly panicky.

I also rationalised that actually jumping out of the car at that moment would do neither myself or the car any good.

Once the water spray stopped and I could see se clearly everything resolved itself.

The car came out of the experience in a better condition than I did :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jun 2017 22:07

:-D :-D :-D Allan, definitely a hair raising experience I have only used one once and that was enough for me

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jun 2017 22:11

I wouldn't call it hair raising LG, but only because I've no hair to raise :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jun 2017 22:14

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D. Well take that as a bonus and perhaps the fact that it would not of turned it grey either ;-) :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jun 2017 22:16

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2017 22:40

See your first mistake was not making your wife clean the car like normal Allan :-D :-D

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jun 2017 22:46

:-D :-D :-D :-D. It's only the dirt holding mine together. :-0

Caroline

Caroline Report 23 Jun 2017 22:48

Just when a good heavy rain storm is needed....

LaGooner oh dear, is that better than string and a wing and a prayer??

Allan

Allan Report 23 Jun 2017 22:57

Caroline, my wife is too busy chopping the wood for our fire, then she has to go down to the river to do the washing.

And with the predicted hikes in our Water and Power bills in next weeks State Budget, that may just become a reality :-(

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 23 Jun 2017 23:22

My car is two tone in colour Silver and rust ;-) :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Jun 2017 23:35

I've never been in a car wash.
In a car, or otherwise :-D

Edit: adds to 'cheapo' bucket list. Or should that be washing up bowl list?

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Jun 2017 00:28

Allan....must be tiring for you supervising all that work she does :-D
No wonder you're always talking about drinking :-D :-D

I fully understand what you're on about though I too was in a car as it went into a car wash and it is an experience for sure...not to be shared with a dog it has to be said...they don't always like it.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jun 2017 00:34

Maggie, I'd not bother if I were you...whilst this was the first time I'd been to one of these places, it almost certainly be my only time!

I was talking to my walking companion earlier on and he uses the same car wash. He said that his first experience was exactly the same as mine...that the car was inching forwards when, in fact, it was completely stationary :-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Jun 2017 01:28

No, it's an experience to be taken/endured (and at less than a tenner, I may pay)!!

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jun 2017 01:42

:-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 24 Jun 2017 02:03

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 24 Jun 2017 04:01

we take our car through an automatic car wash at intervals ...... it's an interesting, but I must admit that I have never had the experience of the car moving when it wasn't.

The car hasn't been through one for about 18 months, so I guess it's time for OH to take it through :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Jun 2017 08:55

A few years after we both retired OH and I decided to share a car so it gets a spit and polish when OH feels like it - not often and only when the youngest grandchild needs to be occupied.

When we each had a car and the children were young, bribery worked. My car was rarely dirty. :-D

I have been through a car wash when I've been out with my children in their cars and I agree, Allan, for a few seconds I thought the car was moving. I can't remember what I'd been drinking at the time. :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 24 Jun 2017 10:19

I was stone cold sober at the time, JoyLouise

Perhaps that was the problem! :-D :-D

I was only cleaning the car, which is over eleven years old, as our son is thinking of buying it as a means of cheap conveyance to his workplace. :-D

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 24 Jun 2017 10:24

About 10yrs ago, I arrived at the local petrol station, just an an ambulance was leaving.

The staff were talking to police officers and they seemed very distressed and upset.
Then I saw it... a car was being dragged out of the car wash.

I stood watching in disbelief!
This car was completely wrecked.
The car wash had gone berserk and every part of the car bashed and buckled.
The front, rear and sides were all pushed inwards.
The top was bashed downward.
The windscreen frame was no longer attached and it was pulled out separately.
It was buckled and bent and had no glass.
I never heard what happened to the driver

I could not believe that a car wash could cause so much damage but it was never in use again and I have never used one since!