Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Spence born 1902 in Raphoe Donegal

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aspen

Aspen Report 11 Oct 2012 21:15

I an looking for decendants of Annie Spence, born Raphoe Co Donegal 1902. Annie was one of 7 children. The eldest, David died in the war 1916. William married in Fife, Alexander died age 6, Margaret died age 24, not married, Robert, known as Bobby and to date, I can't find anything for him and Samuel married and went to Wales. Her parents were William and Lizzie.
I can find Annie on the census 1911. She may have been in the army and may have lived in India or her husband was in the army. I have nothing else. :-(

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2012 21:27

Have you looked to see if anyone on here have any of that family in their trees?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 11 Oct 2012 22:16

Someone on Ancestry has Robert dying 1982 in Dover, and married to an Edith Rose Gregory. They appear to have had one child.
Jan

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2012 22:21

Just putting 1911 for reference:
Residents of a house 2 in Raphoe Townparks (Raphoe, Donegal)
Show all information
Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
Spence Lizzie 45 Female Wife Irish Church
Spence David 14 Male Son Irish Church
Spence William 12 Male Son Irish Church
Spence Annie 9 Female Daughter Irish Church
Spence Maggie 7 Female Daughter Irish Church
Spence Robert 4 Male Son Irish Church
Spence Samuel 2 Male Son Irish Church

so this one?
Robert Spence
Birth Date: 5 May 1906
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1982
Age at Death: 76
Registration district: Dover
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 16
Page: 1190

Aspen

Aspen Report 13 Oct 2012 20:37

That is great for Robert and I will follow that now and it might lead to Annie too. many thanks brummiejan and patchem. i did try but just could not see anything that made me think this is my Robert.

Aspen

Aspen Report 14 Oct 2012 20:31

I have checked in free marriages and free births in genes and have Robert and Edith Rose marrying 1930 and Elizabeth A R born 1932 Eastry Kent. Now I need to find if Elizabeth married and if they had children. Hopefully someone will be able to add to this. :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Oct 2012 21:22

The Ancestry tree has her marrying with 2 children, but of course all details are private.
They have Edith's death as follows:

Name: Edith Rose Spence
Birth Date: 5 Oct 1906
Date of Registration: May 2001
Age at Death: 94
Registration district: Thanet With Dover
Inferred County: Kent
Register Number: C6E
District and Subdistrict: 5751C
Entry number: 6

I suggest you either take out a free 2-week sub to Ancestry and try contacting the tree owner, or get the death cert as there is a good chance it was registered by Elizabeth.

jan

Aspen

Aspen Report 14 Oct 2012 22:34

I think that is the way to go. I will try ancestry and contact the tree owner. Thank you for your help. :-) I really am looking forward to this as it is often so difficult to get a lead and then some small bit of information comes along and then Bingo!

Aspen

Aspen Report 15 Oct 2012 13:33

I now have more information!
I have 5 children for Robert Spence who married Edith Rose Gregory.
Elizabeth AR b. 1932
David b. 1936
Ann V b. 1938
Jean M b. 1940
Margaret R b.1945
I think Ann married Yost
Jean married Brooks
Margaret married Jones
I still have to find David and Elizabeth's marriages. It would be wonderful if I could be in contact with any members of these families. :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 15 Oct 2012 13:47

If you believe Ann married Mr. Yost, I would pursue that as the name is so unusual. There is someone on 192.com 2002 with the husband's name (I assume you have found his full name?) , though can't see an Anne with him.
Jan

Aspen

Aspen Report 15 Oct 2012 15:11

Jan,
Yes I do have the full names. I will follow 192.com. I have looked at the public family trees and they don't have much info there. I was lucky to be able to go to the Church where Robert and his sibling were baptised. I have all their birth certs and some death certs. I live in hope!
Regards
Alison ;-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 16 Oct 2012 23:28

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1312530

Aspen

Aspen Report 20 Oct 2012 21:53

I have been told that Annie did marry and went to live in India as her husband was in the army. Also, they returned, probably due to the trouble in India. No name for the husband. If he was still in the army, then they would have gone to where he was based in the UK. I'm totally lost on this one! Help need please!
Kind regards
Alison :-D

Gee

Gee Report 21 Oct 2012 08:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1312708

Aspen

Aspen Report 23 Oct 2012 22:00

Annie travelled back from India in 1928. Her sister, Margaret, died April 1928 but I'm not sure if she travelled after that or before as her sister was ill for some time. I cannot find a marriage record for her in Donegal yet. Without a surname it is diffficult to trace her. :-( :-S

Aspen

Aspen Report 30 Oct 2012 16:41

I am still checking where Annie was married. I wonder if as she was married to a soldier, would they marry in the army or a local Church? I don't think they married in Co Donegal as I have checked her Church records. It has been said the her husband was very high rank in the army. So little to go on without a name :-(
Kind regards
Alison :-S

Aspen

Aspen Report 14 Nov 2012 07:40

:-(

Aspen

Aspen Report 31 Dec 2012 18:59

Nudge :-S

Aspen

Aspen Report 4 Jan 2013 00:26

nudge <3

Aspen