Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lost family members

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 10:21

I am looking for my fathers mothers side of the family, she died very young and we can't find out much as my grandad is also no longer with is. She lived in Scotland and I believe she had another son. Her name was Jean Campbell Galloway. She moved to Derbyshire and married my grandad, Arthur maydew. Please if you have any information get in touch :)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 10:40

Welcome to the boards Emily.

For the time scale - is this your grandparent's marriage?

Marriages Dec 1956 (>99%)
GALLOWAY Jean C MAYDEW Shardlow 3a 873
Maydew Arthur A W Galloway Shardlow 3a 873

Her death??
Deaths Mar 1963 (>99%)
MAYDEW JEAN C 27 DERBY 3A 427

On http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl there are 2 Maydew/Galloway births, one of whom must be your father.

Arthur J b 1957 Shardlow
Anthony J b 1960 Derby

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 10:48

2 people have Anthony listed on their trees - Douglas and Majorie. Are they know to you, or is Anthony your father? You could contact them and ask if they have further information.

We need to know which gentleman is your uncle so that we look for the right man.

As your grandmother was born in Scotland (or did you really mean 'lived'?) , you will need to search for her birth on Scotland's People which is a pay-to-view site.
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

The English marriage certificate would give her father's name, if known. You could order if from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ using the references given in the previous post at a cost of £9.25

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2014 11:04

2 registered birth in Scotland for Jean C (Campbell)Galloway.

1935. in district Maybole - Ayr-Ayreshire,,, Ref no...,644/14-0602.<

1936. in district Partick-Glasgow,,, Ref no....605/00-0058.<

which will have to be ordered from Scotland,using the above reference numbers.as birth information are restricted to what can be viewed online.

her fathers name from her marriage certificate can be used to find a possible marriage in Scotland for her parents.

certificates of all events from Scotland cost £12.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 11:11

Back-tracking by searching all members trees, your uncle is probably Anthony J??

He married Angela M in 1983 in the same county as his birth.

I'm not seeing an ER entry with Angela - would appreciate input from other GR members before sending a possible 2012 address.

There is an A J Maydew and an A Maydew entry on the BT phone book living in Derbyshire which might be worth risking the cost of 2 stamps??
http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/

If you did decide to write, ask, don't assume that he is your uncle and explain the relationship to your father. The 'A' entry might be his son Ashley Anthony b 1985

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 11:54

omg!! youre so helpful!
james is my dad, anthony is my uncle and theres an uncle robin too. jean (dads mum) died when he was about 7 ish i think, grandad (arthur albert william maydew) had a bad car crash very soon afterwards and the kids were all sent to live with different family members.
i would love to find out about jeans family but i know so little, i know we visited maybole when we were little, and i know grandads sister lived there but dont know if she is still alive, isobel. i woul really really love to find a picture of jean for my dad as they have no memories and that must be awful :'(

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 11:59

the other child was billy/william, jean left this boy with her mother when she left scotland, this is the person we would like to trace. it was ayreshire - maybole that jean moved from. thankyou again so much! :)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2014 12:17

Emily,

You really need to get hold of a copy of Jeans and Arthurs marriage certificate,,,,,it should have her fathers name on it which is vital to trace if a marriage took place in Scotland for her parents,

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 12:24

ok, ill order one, where can i find this? i am very new to this, also have a similar scenario on my mothers side too! but its dads side that i am desperate to find out about.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2014 12:47

http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

Kay????

Kay???? Report 4 Apr 2014 13:21

Emily ,

Det has put the link to the GRO site for online ordering,

as has Reggie,,,

just copy and paste either one onto your search bar...and register yourself.very easy process.

also you will need enter the details,after you choose certificate type,,Marriage,

Names.

Year.

Quarter- Oct-Dec.

Volume--3a Page 873.

follow the instructions for payment.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 15:02

Billy/William may have been born before Jean married your grandfather. He is likely to have used the surname Galloway unless the father was present/acknowledged paternity.
You might be lucky and find a birth reg for her first born son just by using the Scotlands People site. Its possible that if he stayed with 'family' they may have officially adopted him after Jean died.

You're going to have to research her mother's side in Scotland to find siblings who may have taken him in, or who might know what happened to him. Can you remember where in Scotland you visited? Assuming he did use the Galloway surname, look for addresses (B or W) on http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha

English MC first, then her Scottish BC. After that look for Scottish born siblings (if there are any)

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 15:23

Sorry for the delay.
I will get one ordered as soon as I get in, looking forward to finding out more information, can't thank you guys enough :-D

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 16:03

ordered the wedding certificate :) this alone will make my dad cry! going to frame everything ;0)

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 4 Apr 2014 17:29

Kay has got the counties for the births mixed up when she was typing it in

Maybole, Ayrshire

Patrick, Glasgow

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 4 Apr 2014 22:25

Emily, this person would be the right age to be your Billy.

http://www.192.com/atoz/people/galloway/william/ka19/2865170632/

unfortunately there is no telephone listing at BT on line to match

edit

however there is an address here for the young person in that William's household

http://whois.polodomains.com/domain/czFMOtPsxmFFDsAiF679mA.._info.html

scroll down to 'Registrant'

and when tested at 192.com that address matches the William's at the link I put above

there is also an email address for the young person there

again it could be worth a stamp to enquire :-)

Emily

Emily Report 4 Apr 2014 23:39

I'm going to write to him, that really does sound like it could be him, like you said, the age would be very similar, can't thank you lot enough! Your such a helpful bunch!! X

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Apr 2014 00:33

you're welcome, let us know how it goes if you like :-)

Emily

Emily Report 5 Apr 2014 08:51

Definitely! I have my mothers side for you to get your teeth into if you like!! ;-) I'd love to spend time on here getting right into the history of our family but my 18 month old daughter has other plans...
Any chance I get I'm here tho :) so exciting!

Emily

Emily Report 14 Apr 2014 17:02

Hi guys! The wedding cert arrived today...jeans dad is William Galloway.
Also know she was 27 when she died and definitely from maybole in Ayrshire :)