Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Online Probate search 1996-2014

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 24 Oct 2014 16:49

I posted this message below on the Genealogy Chat board.

Am duplicating it here because, as I say below, it might be a way of finding some deaths that occurred after c2007, which is where most online death indexes stop for England and Wales.
-------------------------------------------------

Saw this site:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Which has an free online search for probate records post 1996 (I think just England and Wales, but check it out for yourselves)

You do have to search by name and year, and if you do find what you want, you can pay the £10 and send off for a copy of the probate/will details.

I found a probate record for my uncle who died in June 2014 with a probate date of Sept 2014.

Unfortunately you MUST put in a year of death, so would have to do a year by year search if you didn't know that.

Given that online death indexes currently only go up to c2007 , I thought it might be another way to help look for suspected deaths after that date .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Oct 2014 23:58

Many of the requests for 'Living Relatives' are for elderly people.

Searches sometimes reveal that they've 'dropped off' online ER. Admittedly it could be because they've opted out, but on the other hand they may have died.

Although not everyones Estate goes to Probate, if we can find a listing it might bring 'closure' to the poster.

One might also add that the form PA1S for ordering a copy of the Will and/or Grant of Probate can be found here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=739

The information that the Will/Grant gives might help the poster make contact with other relatives

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 25 Oct 2014 08:45

Does it really matter where Kucinta posts it Jacqueline??

Thank you for the link Kucinta.

:-)

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 25 Oct 2014 13:58

HI,

I didn't see the post by Jacqueline, so don't know what she said.

I realise it seems daft on the surface of it to post a probate index site on a 'living relatives' thread.

However my reason for duplicating the message on this board is pretty much as DET has already said, that unfortunately some of the 'living relatives' that folk are searching for have already passed on, possibly in very recent years that fall outside the current range of online death indexes for England and Wales.

Also, whilst it might be of most use for those searching for an elderly relative, sadly neither fatal accidents nor terminal illness restrict themselves to the elderly, and some people do pass on well before what we might consider is their 'time'.

I just thought the probate site might be of use occasionally, in resolving what had happened to a 'lost' relative, and that those people who help out regularly on this board could add it to their research tools.