Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for long lost sister

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 11:04

Hi im trying to find my sister her name is dawn Michelle adams born in 1972 in Manchester. She now lives in London and has a daughter jemma/gemma who is aged between 16-25. Any help or information would great thankyou.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 May 2015 11:16

Hi Nicola and welcome to the boards.

Is Adams her maiden name or married name?

Okay......I see it's her maiden name.

Do you know if she married?

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 11:24

Hi it's her birth name as far as I am aware she isn't married.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 May 2015 13:14

Here is the link to the free Electoral Roll in case it helps......

http://www.freeelectoralroll.co.uk/

You could also try Facebook

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 13:54

Thankyou

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 May 2015 16:30

Her birth registration suggests she had a name change or was adopted. If this is the case, we have no idea of her name now.

Rose

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 16:34

Hi rose how did you come to that conclusion?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 May 2015 17:04

hi Nicola, there is a notation against her name in the births index (we can see it at Ancestry with a subscription) that I understand indicates adoption

can you tell us when you last saw her and how you know about her daughter, did you grow up together or meet later in life ... ?

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 17:09

Hi , dawn was born 3 years before me I was also taken into care and later adopted. I found my mother last year and it was her who told me about dawn. She said dawns dad brought her up and that she had a daughter called gemma. Im not sure if she's told me the truth or not because she's lied about a lot of things.

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 17:13

I have never met dawn and dawn doesn't know about me.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 20 May 2015 17:14

Do you have your adoption file? Dawn should be mentioned in that.

Rose

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 17:18

Hi rose in my mother's medical records it only states there was a child born alive and well in 1972 which was put in my adoption papers it was never said if that child had been adopted or not.

nicola

nicola Report 20 May 2015 17:21

Joonie cloonie I can see what you mean by the crossing out and it looks like another number has been put there. Does that mean I could get her adoption information from that new number?

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 20 May 2015 21:09

no Nicola, unfortunately you can't access another person's adoption record

You can add your name to the adoption contact register

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records/the-adoption-contact-register

and if she does the same you can be put in touch as I understand it (others here know more about it)

since it seems Dawn was adopted and her name would have been changed, I believe it would be safe to put her name in your tree here in case she or another family member searches here for family

if your birth mother consents, you can also put her name in your tree here

you can also add a discreet 'postem' to Dawn's name at

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

(just saying you would like to contact her, and use an anonymous permanent email address like at gmail or hotmail)

If Dawn's dad brought her up it doesn't seem likely there would be an adoption record ... although there could be circumstances in which a birth father who wasn't the registered father might do that

nicola

nicola Report 21 May 2015 06:24

Hi joonie cloonie
Im going to ring the records office and see if there are records of a new birth certificate after she was adopted also im going to ring after adoption in my area to see if they can give me any advice. Thankyou go everything.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 May 2015 09:10

Do you know who her father was? Have you tried tracing him?

Rose

nicola

nicola Report 21 May 2015 10:09

I was told her fathers name was John Adams and he lived in manchester