Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BURRELL My Bio Father's Last Name.Half-Sister?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 22 Jan 2016 02:02

Could you possibly be a descendant of an Alfred Thomas Burrell, who was born in the early 1900's (whose father's name may also have been Alfred)? I am the biological daughter of an Alfred Burrell who was born in England. He emigrated to the USA, and definitely spent some time in Canada, as that is where I was born, in 1957. He may well have changed his name to Frank upon entry to the USA. However, he also went by "Jack" at some point; likely during his time in Canada. Please advise. Jacqueline.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 22 Jan 2016 11:19

Hi Jacqueline and welcome to the boards.

Please can you tell us when and where your father was born.........then we might be able to work our way back to Alfred Thomas Burrell.

Do you know if your father had a middle name?

Do you know the names of any siblings?

Prickles.;o))

Just seeing how this pans out.........

??

Alfred Thomas Burrell in the England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
Name: Alfred Thomas Burrell
Registration Year: 1909
Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
Registration district: Hackney
Inferred County: London
Volume: 1b
Page: 408

??

Alfred Burrell in the 1911 England Census
Name: Alfred Burrell
Age in 1911: 2
Estimated birth year: abt 1909
Relation to Head: Grandchild
Birth Place: London, United Kingdom
Civil Parish: St John-at-Hackney
County/Island: London

Street address: 57 Swinnerton Street, Hackney, South East Hackney, London NE
Sub-registration district: South East Hackney

Household Members:

T I Burrell 48 (J T on the image) Baker/Journeyman (Bethnal Green, London)
Alice Burrell 47 Kensington
Alice Burrell 18
Charles Burrell 13
Robert Burrell 7
Sidney Burrell 4
Alfred Burrell 2

Married 29 years.....12 children born, 7 living, 5 had died.

John T Burrell in the 1891 England Census
Name: John T Burrell
Estimated birth year: abt 1862
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Alice Burrell
Where born: Bethnal Green, London, England
Civil Parish: Hackney
Ecclesiastical parish: St Augustines
County/Island: London

Sub registration district: Hackney

Household Members:

John T Burrell 29 (Baker)
Alice Burrell 26 Kensington
Thomas Burrell 7
Alfred Burrell 5
Walter Burrell 1

(Children all born Hackney)

Possible births of the children.......

Births Dec 1883 (>99%)
BURRELL Thomas William Hackney 1b 536

Births Dec 1885 (>99%)
Burrell Alfred Ernest Hackney 1b 585

Births Jun 1888 (>99%)
BURRELL Walter Hackney 1b 552

Births Mar 1893 (>99%)
Burrell Alice Constance Hackney 1b 527

Births Mar 1898 (>99%)
Burrell Charles Joseph Hackney 1b 578

Births Jun 1907 (>99%)
BURRELL Sidney Hackney 1b 508

No birth for a Robert.......so maybe

Births Sep 1903 (>99%)
Burrell Herbert Robert Hackney 1b 577

Does any of this ring any bells??

I have absolutely no idea if any of the info I posted is relevant.......hopefully, Jacqueline will get back to us with a few more clues.

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 22 Jan 2016 13:06

Can anyone find the above family in the 1901 census ?

Prickles.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 24 Jan 2016 21:00

Hi There! How nice of you to respond! Yes, I've been to the Ancestry site as well. There are 3(recent) Alfred Burrell births that were captured in the 1911 Census of England and Wales; age 2, age 3, and age 4. Unfortunately it's been very difficult for me to confirm one way or the other. My mother told me (near the very end of her life), that my father's name was Alfred Thomas Burrell. I asked about siblings; she recalled only that he had one brother (because he spoke about being upset with him because he planned to marry a woman with three children). I think (but can't confirm) that the Alfred Burrell who was said to be age 3 at the time of the 1911 Census makes most sense - because that particular Alfred had NO siblings - yet. I have always suspected that my father's brother would have been younger than him. However, I've really no idea. I do know that my father was quite a bit older than my mother; though it is turning out that he was likely older than perhaps she even knew. I am looking into the potential for some investigation in California. My mother ultimately signed a Declaration of Paternity in 1958, and although his name was not revealed to me (I'm seeing what I can do about that as well), where he was living at the time was stated; it read Santa Monica California. As with everything though, it seems I must take this with a grain of salt; because this information would have come from my father to my mother; and given the circumstances at the time, he, or she, could certainly have been deliberately misleading.