Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

born Bertha Annie Portrait 1926/7

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 31 Jan 2016 16:34

I have no idea of Bertha's adopted name but would dearly love to find my half-sister. Given to believe she was adopted by family in Medway, Kent area.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jan 2016 17:15

try putting her name is Search all members trees to see if anyone has her in their tree

if they have then find out more by sending a message through the find out more box

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Jan 2016 17:25

Hi Barbara.

This is going to be quite tricky, as no doubt you know.
I've had a bit of a look around here & Ancestry, and as far as I can see nobody else has her in their tree.
She might well not have known about her adoption of course.

It might be worth adding a postem on Freebmd - a long shot, but you never know.
Just go here and fill in search boxes - you only need Bertha Portrait as the name is so unusual.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

You will see this when you search:

Births Mar 1927
Portrait Bertha A Bryant Medway 2a 1155

Then click on the little symbol to the right (looks like specs!). This page will give you info about postems. Make sure you put your email address on it, obviously!

Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jan 2016 17:26

Name: Bertha A Portrait
Mother's Maiden Surname: Bryant
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1927
Registration district: Medway
Inferred County: Kent
Volume Number: 2a
Page Number: 1155

so she was born in the area

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Jan 2016 17:47

Do you know her actual date of birth? Although we hope you aren't too late, it might be possible to find deaths registered with the same dob. You could then contact relatives. They may know if their femail family member was adopted.

Here's where to order a copy of the original birth certificate at a cost of £9.25. Use the details as given previously to complete the form.
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

You could also apply to Kent SS and ask for a letter and contact details to be put on file.
As brummiejan says, its going to be a bit tricky especially as she may not know she was adopted.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 31 Jan 2016 17:53

If she was adopted as a baby then it may not have been an official adoption. Although adoption became official in 1927 it was quite a while before all adoptions went through official channels. It could have been a private adoption using a solicitor or it could have just been an unofficial arrangement between friends or neighbours. It all depends on the circumstances of why she was adopted.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 31 Jan 2016 19:23

Barnados maybe worth a try as they played a big part at the begining when the 1926/7 Act was passed.

Making Connections
Barnardo’s
Cottage 4
Tanners Lane
Barkingside
Essex
IG6 1 QG

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 020 8498 7536
Office hours are Monday to Friday, 9:00 - 17:00.

Quick response is given to related siblings.

She doesnt appear on the Canada *Home Child list,so wasnt sent there as many were without the knowledge of the parent by many of the placement agencies at that time.