Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relatives of Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katrina

Katrina Report 1 Apr 2016 04:22

I am looking for any relatives of my grandfather Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher born 1897 in Wales. His parents were Gilbert and Sarah Fletcher, he had two brothers one Gilbert Thomas and on Percy Henry John.
Any information would be fabulous.
Katrina

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 1 Apr 2016 07:01

If you look here you can see their births, marriages and deaths.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Unfortunately, Gilbert married a Smith so finding his children will be tricky.

Looks like Percy had 2 children.

Rose

Katrina

Katrina Report 1 Apr 2016 10:33

Hi, thank you for the response. I had a look at the link you gave me but was unable to get anything there, it kept saying nothing found. My search is for any family of my grandfather Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher, I know he had five children, I know their first names but nothing else. I never met him or any of his family living in Scotland and with a surname so common as Fletcher have no idea where to go next. I know my father who was also a Frederick was living in Dunfermline and Edinburgh before coming out to Australia.
Katrina

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 11:51

just for ref

1911 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
2 Victoria Villas Saltash, Saltash, Cornwall, England

Gilbert Fletcher Head Married Male Superintendent Assurance Co 42 1869 Cirencester Gloster
Sarah Fletcher Wife Married Female Housewife 46 1865 Llanfr Radnorshire
Gilbert Thomas Fletcher Son Single Male Clerk Accountants 17 1894 Cardiff Glamorgan
Percy Henry John Fletcher Son Single Male Plumber Apprentice 15 1896 Barry Dock Glamorgan
Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher Son Single Male School 13 1898 Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan

British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924 Transcription

First name(s) Frederick Robert Middleton
Last name Fletcher
Service number J25414
Birth year 1897
Birth date 19 Sep 1897
Birth place Cardiff
Birth county Glamorganshire
Birth country Wales
Archive The National Archives
Archive reference ADM 188/697/25414
Record set British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Service Records
Collections from Great Britain

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Apr 2016 14:53

For Scottish births, deaths, and marriages the best site is Scotland People, although some records are on Ancestry and other genealogy sites.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

It's not a subscription site - you have to buy credits. Helpers on here will probably not be able to afford to help to any great extent where SP is concerned - it costs them enough researching their own families on there!

The 1911 Scottish census is only available to view on SP.

Which members of the family were living in Scotland?
When was your father born?
When did he go to Australia?

Any details would be helpful (probably!)

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 14:57

British Army Service Records 1914-1920 I

First name(s) Gilbert Thomas
Last name Fletcher
Service number 1784
Regiment Durham Light Infantry
Unit / Battalion 4th Battalion
Event year 1916
Age 22
Birth year 1894
Birth town -
Birth county -
Birth country -
Residence town -
Residence county -
Series WO 363
Record set British Army Service Records 1914-1920
Subcategory First World War

He was a "Pastor Evangelist" sentenced to 6 months in Wormwood scrubs for unlawfully disobeying an order given by superior officer.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Apr 2016 14:58

Probably Frederick's death, per SP:

1976 FLETCHER FREDERICK ROBERT M 78 DUNFERMLINE /FIFE 432/00 0248

You will have to buy a copy of the cert through SP, to see all the details.

(The M is for Male, not Middleton!)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 1 Apr 2016 15:03

If any of Frederick's children were born in Scotland, it will be virtually impossible to find the records, unless you know that they have distinctive first or middle names, as the mother's maiden surname can't be used as a search term in Scottish births after 1854.

What are the five children's first names, please?

I don't see a definite marriage for Frederick in Scotland / England / Waless - at least not using his middle name of Middleton.

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 15:09

British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924 Transcription
Learn more

Print transcription View image
First name(s) Percy Henry John
Last name Fletcher
Service number J12330
Birth year 1895
Birth date 14 Sep 1895
Birth place Cardiff
Birth county Glamorganshire
Birth country Wales
Archive The National Archives
Archive reference ADM 188/671/12330
Record set British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924
Subcategory Service Records

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 15:11

1939 REGISTER TRANSCRIPTION
Fletcher Household (3 People)
1 Fawley Lodge South Street , New Forest R.D., Hampshire, England

Percy H J Fletcher 14 Sep 1895 Commissionaire Imperial Airway
Alice M Fletcher 21 Dec 1900 Unpaid Domestic Duties
Sarah Parsons (Fletcher) 07 Nov 1938 Under School Age

Rambling

Rambling Report 1 Apr 2016 15:16

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/41238/supplement/6884/data.pdf

FLETCHER, Frederick Robert Middleton, Able
Seaman, H.M. Dockyard, Rosyth.

Katrina

Katrina Report 2 Apr 2016 10:50

I am so overwhelmed with the information that has appeared on my grandfather and his family, a big thank you to Rambling Rose for all the info you have provided. I am going to try to either download it or save it as at the moment my printer is on strike lol. I am not sure how to reply to separate messages on here I am new to using a forum but I will certainly try.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 12:12

Katrina, it's best NOT to reply to messages individually (i.e. - by clicking on the person's name and sending a private message).

It's best to add your reply in the white box at the end of your thread (under "Add your reply"), and click "Submit". That way your reply will appear on the thread, and all the helpers can see it, and they can all then use the information to search more for you.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 12:15

PM received from Katrina (before I posted my last message):

Hello, I am so not familiar with using this forum so please excuse my contacting you this way. On the forum page you asked me about the christian names of my grandfathers children. The only one I have been able to find any info on was my fathers brother Gilbert born 1927 died 1975 in British Columbia Canada. The other siblings were my father Frederick born 1920 migrated to Australia 1950, Annie Laurie, Edith, Audrey and Thomas or Tommy. I have been able to find a marriage entry for my grandparents Frederick R M Fletcher and ANnie Forbes MonEdinborgh Dec 22 1917 in Edinburgh at the New Collage Settlement, Pleasance.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 12:24

Are your father's siblings still living? (If not, we can freely post anything we find about them. If alive, we can't - though we can send you any such details in personal messages.)

How much do you know about them? What information are you still looking for?

Edith's birth??

1922 FLETCHER EDITH F DUNFERMLINE /FIFE 424/00 1014

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 12:43

Possibly Edith's marriage??

1945 BOROWSKI STANISLAW FLETCHER EDITH ST GILES EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/04 0819

If that is her marriage, then there are several Borowski births in Scotland in the years after 1945 - three in Fife (Kirkcaldy), and a pair of twins in Edinburgh, as well as a few in other parts of Scotland. You can find the births on SP, or I can send you the details if you think they might be the right people. Of course, without purchasing the certificates, it's impossible to know who their mother(s) was / were.

And a wild guess at Mr Borowski's death??

Stanislaw Borowski
in the England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
Name: Stanislaw Borowski
Birth Date: 12 Jun 1922
Date of Registration: Sep 2005
Age at Death: 83
Registration district: Bedford
Inferred County: Bedfordshire
Register Number: A9D
District and Subdistrict: 309/1A
Entry Number: 208

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Apr 2016 14:38

There are 8 'Borowski' living in Bedford, Bedfordshire in the ER 2002-2014 but there is no knowing if they are related to Stan or Edith. Edith is not listed with anyone.

You can find the listings on
http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk/Electoral_Roll_Search.asp
Then make a free search using the surname and post code on
http://www.192.com/
That will tell you how current the addresses are.

The mother of at least two of them is not Edith.
The other lisiting are likely to be either their spouses or children.

If you wanted to buy Stanislow's marriage cert to compare with the Scottish one, the reference you need is

Marriages Sep 1951 (>99%)
BOROWSKI Stanislaw MICKLEBURGH Bedford 4a 192

Obviously, if the births in Scotland are after 1951, the Bedford entry can't be correct
The first birth with the parents Borowski/Mickleburgh combination is in 1953

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 15:23

The Kirkcaldy births are 1947, 1951, and 1955. I have a feeling that the 1947 one may perhaps not be a child of the same parents as the later two, just going by the choice of first names - but I could well be wrong!

The Edinburgh twins were born in 1947.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Apr 2016 15:28

Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher's wife's ms was Montgomery - some of it got chopped off in Katrina's post giving the marriage date.

Katrina

Katrina Report 3 Apr 2016 03:28

My grandparents were married on the 22 December 1917, at the New
College Settlement, Pleasance, Edinborgh.
The only siblings of my father that I am sure of that has passed away is Gilbert James in 1975. It is possible they could all be considering their possible ages being in the late 90's plus. My father Frederick Fletcher born 1920 would be 96 if he were alive. He left Scotland in 1950 and did not maintain regular contact with any of his family including two sons from his first marriage. I am looking for any living family from his side that can possibly fill in some family history and even maybe a pic of my grandparents as I have nothing of them at all other than where my grandfather was born and his marriage entry. I know nothing about my grandmother Annie Forbes Montgomery other than she was born in 1899 and her fathers name was James Forbes Montgomery.