Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family of Irene Butler born 1921

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Apr 2016 00:23

Looking for any family of Irene Butler, born 1921 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, the daughter of William O Butler and Elsie Butler, maiden name Titcombe.
She may have married of course but I have no idea to whom or where.
I have messaged a few people with the name on trees but had no replies.
Many thanks
Jen

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2016 00:53

For the record, she was/is Irene M Butler

This is her parents on 29 Sep 1939, presumably living with Elsie's mother or other Titcombe relative

Titcombe Household (3 People) 40 Woodwells Road , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England

William O Butler 11 Feb 1892 Male Butcher Own Account Married
Ellen Titcombe 23 May 1862 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed
Elsie Butler 21 Sep 1892 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Married

There is one Closed record. As there were no other Butler/Titcombe births 1915-1939, that might be Irene suggesting that she either died abroad or after 1991.
There seems to be a name change indicated on the closed record, which would suggest Irene married

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2016 01:00

Findmypast suggests 3 marriages for an Irene M Butler in Birmingham

1947 to a Mr Foster
1959 to a Mr Envine
1971 to a Mr Hall

Any or none of them could be correct.

Do you have any idea what the M stands for? This is so that we can search for deaths with the alternate surnames (to 2006). Of course, she may still be living or died after then

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Apr 2016 01:01

Thank you.....I have that record and yes Ellen was the mother of Elsie. This is as far as I got hence the asking in this forum.
Any ideas where to from here??!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Apr 2016 01:09

If you are serious about finding more about her, it might be an idea to purchase the BC. That way you'll know her exact dob, and what her middle name is.
With that information, it might be possible to find a death which would give the surname used when she died. From there we can work out the names of any children she may have had.
As a last resort, the informant on a DC is often a relative

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 13 Apr 2016 01:31

I have her on the birth index Irene M Butler mother's maiden name Titcombe. Oct-Nov- Dec 1921.
Guess I'll have to save my pennies and get cert.
Thanks for your help. :)

malyon

malyon Report 13 Apr 2016 15:58

Marriages Sep 1947 (>99%)
Butler Irene M Foster Birmingham 9c 811

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Apr 2016 02:53

the Foster marriage (previously posted by Detective) does seem the most likely time-wise

very oddly, there are these two deaths:

Irene Myra Foster 1921 Jun 2003 Great Yarmouth
Irene Myra Foster 1921 Sep 2003 Mansfield

two women named Irene Myra born a day apart, 1 and 2 December 1921, both (presumably) married Foster, and died only weeks apart

a George R Foster birth reg Mar Q 1922 Birmingham could match with this death ... and one of the Foster-Butler births in Birmingham matches the name:

George Raymond Foster 1922 Sep 1982 Chesterfield

An Irene M Foster shows on the electoral roll in Nottingham only to 2002.

(edit- apologies, I omitted the link to the electoral roll site:)

http://www.searchelectoralroll.co.uk

(and results can be cross-referenced by surname and complete postal code, to find the dates, at:)

http://www.192.com

by age (crossreferencing electoral lists at the above sites), the child in question could be the one in Nottingham postcode NG12-5 that you can find in the telephone book on line

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha#

certainly there is no guarantee that the marriage in question is your Irene, but if it is, that possibly could be a way of contacting her child, and at least of finding out whether that is a child of the Butler-Foster marriage, and if so whether that was your Irene

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Apr 2016 03:43

The Myra second name is throwing me a bit as that name is nowhere on tree, but then of course it could be from the Butler side of whom I don't have any info.

I am in New Zealand so that makes telephoning not an option at this stage.......would cost too much. Also there are a few Fosters in the Nottingham phone list so which one to call would be anyone's guess. Also if it was George and he was born in 1922 then I feel it unlikely at 94 he would be living on his own.......could be wrong there of course !!!

Mary is the only name that I can see in family for a second name, however Myra could be a transcription error!!!!

Many thanks for looking though.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Apr 2016 04:23

the telephone directory has addresses; letters can be written to addresses

no, the Foster I directed to is not anyone's guess, it is quite specific; I gave the beginning of the post code

and I pretty plainly said the listing was for the child, not George ... since I had posted what could be that George's death record ...

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

the children's names are easily found there and you will notice the match I mentioned with the deceased George ... and then the child in question is easily found in the telephone directory with the info I gave ...

people don't always give their children 'family' names ... by 1920, there were trendy names just as there are now

in the years 1920-22, there were 931 Myras (first given name) born in England/Wales ... in that same period, there were 228 Myra deaths ... nearly half of them under age 21 ... so not very many of the Myras born 1920-22 had it as a 'family' name

Again, no guarantees any of these people are related, but it makes more sense to ask than to expect them to materialise.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 14 Apr 2016 05:29

Thank you Joonie Cloonie. It took me a while to figure it all out. Learning to negotiate my way around some of these sites. I have an address, thank you.
Thanks for your help :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 Apr 2016 16:43

that's what I get for being circumspect about living people's info ... I end up being obscure. :-)

glad you got there and hope it turns out to be the right people!