Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Forbes Montgomery

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katrina

Katrina Report 16 Apr 2016 02:25

I am looking for any information on my grandmother Annie Forbes Montgomery, born 1899. She married my grandfather Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher in 1917 aged 18 at The New College Settlement, Pleasance Edinburgh. I have a copy of this entry stating her fathers name was James Forbes Montgomery, occupation Railway Porter, her mothers name Elizabeth Montgonery MS Forbes. I am not having any luck finding either of them or any siblings. I am confused by her maiden name being Forbes as Annies father has Forbes as his second name.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2016 06:21

Have you looked for her on any census ?

Her birth entry should be on Scotlands People . Afraid it's not a subs site. You have to buy units to look at the entries but you can then buy the cert through them with the entry info

The parents marrige should be on the same site

:-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2016 06:30

This one has a father James and mother Elizabeth perhaps he changed his profession later
1901 census
England Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Bainsford, Main Street, Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland

James Montgomery Head Married Male 28 1873 Fire Clay Brickmaker Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland Transcription
Elizabeth Montgomery Wife Married Female 31 1870 - Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland Transcription
Elizabeth Montgomery Daughter Single Female 7 1894 Scholar Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland Transcription
John Montgomery Son Single Male 5 1896 Scholar Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland Transcription
Annie Montgomery Daughter Single Female 3 1898 - Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland Transcription
Jessie Montgomery Daughter Single Female 1. 1900. - Falkirk Stirlingshire

The 1911 census is on Scotlands People

Katrina

Katrina Report 16 Apr 2016 10:51

My confusion is on the marriage cert it states Forbes as a middle name. Annie Forbes Montgomery, James Forbes Montgomery, Elizabeth Montgomery nee Forbes. The entries I have found do not have Forbes in the name.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2016 11:10

Try looking for the marriage of James and Elizabeth Forbes on Scotlands people

Can understand Annie having it as a second name after her mmn

Perhaps Annie was confused to her father's name when she gave the info for her marriage

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2016 11:23

Not seeing Annie or Frederick on the 1939 register

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Apr 2016 11:27

Don't know if you have these

Frederick Robert Middleton
Last name Fletcher
Service number J25414
Birth year 1897
Birth date 19 Sep 1897
Birth place Cardiff
Birth county Glamorganshire
Birth country Wales
Archive The National Archives
Archive reference ADM 188/697/25414
Record set British Royal Navy Seamen 1899-1924
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory Service Records
Collections from Great Britain
National Archives

1911 census
England Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
2 Victoria Villas Saltash, Saltash, Cornwall, England

Gilbert Fletcher Head Married Male Superintendent Assurance Co 42 1869 Cirencester Gloster Transcription
Sarah Fletcher Wife Married Female Housewife 46 1865 Llanfr Radnorshire Transcription
Gilbert Thomas Fletcher Son Single Male Clerk Accountants 17 1894 Cardiff Glamorgan Transcription
Percy Henry John Fletcher Son Single Male Plumber Apprentice 15 1896 Barry Dock Glamorgan Transcription
Frederick Robert Middleton Fletcher Son Single Male School 13 1898 Cadoxton Barry Glamorgan Transcription

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 16 Apr 2016 14:30

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1359411

same family, closely connected question

Questions about closely related people are best asked in the same thread to avoid people duplicating research that applies to both, per the guidelines here.

It sounds as if maybe 'Forbes Montgomery' was adopted as a surname possibly following the Forbes+Montgomery marriage ... with double-barrelled names the first is often disregarded in documents and treated as a middle name or initial, but it might have been mistakenly abbreviated by dropping the second one.

malyon

malyon Report 16 Apr 2016 21:28

could this be connected

James F Montgomery
Scotland Census, 1881
Name James F Montgomery
Event Type Census
Event Date 1881
Gender Male
Age 62
Birthplace Edinburgh
Registration District St Georges
County Midlothian
Birth Year (Estimated) 1819

Kay????

Kay???? Report 17 Apr 2016 07:47

Elizabeth Forbes.....parents were Peter Forbes deceased a carter & Elizabeth Forbes ms Henderson.
married 3rd Dec 1897 at 21 West Mayfield after banns with the Scotlands Free Church,it may not have been in a church wedding, as weddings took place in houses.

James Montgomery railway porter,,,,,,parents were Norman Montgomery a seaman in merchant service deceased & Ann Montgomery ms Forbes,,but the current surname isnt clear as Ann Montgomery has remarried since the death of the late Norman,

So Forbes is a family surname on both sides,

Forbes,,,,,,,,there maybe a chance the Elizabeth and James were Forbes related,but its extremely common for same surnames in Scotland to marry and have no relationship to each other,

Although James Montgomery hasnt used the Forbes surname when he married Elizabeth Forbes and no birth seems to be showing its got incorporated when his daughter married Frederick.,,,,,which again isnt uncommon in Scotland,