Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ethel Margaret Roberts GPO Clerical Officer 1945

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

diane

diane Report 14 May 2016 17:15

Hi ,I haven't been on her for a while as I have tried to follow leads in finding the above lady mentioned sadly to no avail ?? the lady in question is my biological Grandmother who I have been searching for for many years , she as in the the Guildford ,Farncombe and Farnham area during late 1944 up until 1946 but after this has completely vanished if anyone on here is related to or knows of this lady please get in contact with me ,thank you kindest regards Diane

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 May 2016 17:19

Diane, could you say if this is her married or maiden name, and when she was born? People might be able to help a bit if you give a little more info.

diane

diane Report 14 May 2016 17:47

Hi it's her maiden name and sadly I don't have her DOB this is what I'm told is why my search for her has been so difficult :-(

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 May 2016 17:58

Is she the mother of your mother or your father? Do you know when or where your parent(s) were born and their names?

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2016 17:59

Have you found her marriage cert for her age and father's name

Getting back to her through her child would give info on her and her family

diane

diane Report 14 May 2016 18:08

Ethel is my Mums Mum ,the only info we have been able to gather is from Mums birth cert ,traced the address given on it the owner's of this house took in Lodgers during the War the last address for her was prospect cottages in Farnham ,this house was also owned by another couple who took in Lodgers after this sadly nothing ,I've also tried GPO records and can't seem to find a record of her ,contacted both S.S and the Courts for the ares mentioned earlier and yet again no trace ive complety reached a dead end :-(

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2016 18:41

So what's the details from your mums birth cert

Afraid we need details to try and help

Was your mum adopted so the info is sparse?

Rambling

Rambling Report 14 May 2016 18:46

Previous thread for background info

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1348966

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 May 2016 18:49

IMPERIAL SERVICE MEDALS
IMPERIAL SERVICE MEDALS
Newtown, Mont.; David John Lewis, i overseer, P. 0., Cardiff; Arthur |John Phillips, inspector, Swansea telephone area; Ethel Roberts, acting assistant supervisor, P. 0.. Bangor: and David Williams, postman, Pontyclun Sub-office. Alderman Resigns.—Llandovery
13 January 1943 - Western Mail - Cardiff, South Glamorgan,

?

diane

diane Report 14 May 2016 19:35

I don't know Kay perhaps she was in Bangor previously ,I know you wernt allowed to work for the GPO once married

diane

diane Report 14 May 2016 19:43

I've just Googled the Imperial service medal ,it said that these were given on retirement from service ???

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 14 May 2016 21:51

Diane, that other thread is three pages long

When you come back, no matter how long you have been away, click on My Threads on the left of your screen and you will find all the threads you have posted in

then do not start a new thread about something you have posted before ... add a new message to it and it will rise to the top of the list

this is to your benefit because then others who have posted in it will see any new info you have, or may have access to new info

this thread is just an invitation for people to repeat research and questions and suggestions that have already been done

..... uh huh, like me, I now see ..... and you too Kay???? !

I am adding a link to this thread in the other one so that anyone who was interested at the time can check here too

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 May 2016 23:57

Don't know if this has already been found (didn't read through the whole of your earlier thread) - but this is Edith Hall and Elizabeth Muriel Hall in the 1939 Register:-

Hall Household (2 People)
The Sycamore, Hall Road , Farnham U.D., Surrey, England (think this should be Hale Road and NOT Hall Road)

FIRST NAME(S) LAST NAME(S) DOB SEX OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS SCHEDULE SCHEDULE SUB NUMBER

Elizabeth M (Muriel) Hall 09 Jun 1910 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Single 161 2
Edith Hall 28 Dec 1869 Female Unpaid Domestic Duties Widowed 161 1

Kath. x

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 15 May 2016 15:49

Yes, Kathleen, I investigated Muriel quite thoroughly, on page 3 of that thread. :-)

See what I mean about doing the research over again, Diane?

diane

diane Report 15 May 2016 17:04

Hi Kathleen and Joonie Cloonie thank you for your advise ,I did Chase up the Mutual Hall you found but just like with Ethel sadly again reached a dead end , looked into marriages etc but nothing ,the only conclusion I can come to is that perhaps she emigrated :-(

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 17 May 2016 19:18

Other threads - though I don't think they tell us any more than the long one at link posted earlier:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1349073

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1348972