Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Peel family in Manitoba and Alberta Canada

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

EMMAPEEL

EMMAPEEL Report 18 May 2016 09:46

Can anyone help me find the children of my three Peel cousins who were all born in Canada.

The parents are
1. Robert Edmund Lawrence Hurt Peel, died 1981, married Adelaide Lynn Cooley, died 1996 at Westmead Farm, Kelloe, Shoal Lake, Manitoba

Where are their children ?

2. Reginald Ewbank Hurt Peel, died 1977 married Ethel Jean Rose died 1979 Shoal Lake. THey definitely have at least two children, one boy, one girl, I can't locate them.

3. Francis Neville Hurt Peel, died 1984 married Barbara Adeline Mundt died 1993, and they lived at Spruce Grove, Alberta., Edmonton, Ontario

I also can't find their children

Do I start by asking Canada for the death certificates to find issue ?

ANy help or advice would be fantastic, these are the children of my great uncle who, sadly, I didn't know existed until 2 weeks ago. Thanks. Emma

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2016 18:48

The death certs might have children's names and addresses (at least at the dates of the parents' deaths) if they were informants for the death certs - I don't know what would be on a Canadian death cert.

No help with the children's present whereabouts , I fear, but maybe a starting point:-
Reginald in 1968:

Reginald Peel
in the Canada, Voters Lists, 1935-1980
Name: Reginald Peel
Year: 1968
Electoral District: Marquette

With wife Ethel. There's also his brother Robert with wife Adelaide on the same record image.

EMMAPEEL

EMMAPEEL Report 18 May 2016 19:40

Hello Argyll Gran, are you in Argyll, because, guess what, I am too (!)

I have tried the advice given here to look up Peel on the Canada phone book, but there are loads of them and this generation doesn't seem to have the usual family names associated with the previous generations.

I suppose I order the death certificate of the 2nd parent in each case to die and that should have their child as next of kin?

The gravestone for Francis wife Barbara Adeline Peel in Spruce Grove Alberta has been erected with much care and love, with a poem we use today on it, and she died in 1993 so maybe I will try to get hers first.

Reginald died in 1977, Francis in 1984 and Robert in 1981...

Thank you for taking time to help.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 May 2016 20:47

You might have difficulty ordering the death certificates.

Following are the rules for death records in Alberta:

"Death records in Alberta are not public until after 50 years have passed from the date of death. To apply for a genealogical search of death records less than 50 years old, you must be able to show that you are an eligible next of kin (parent, sibling, children or spouse). "

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2016 22:49

Manitoba doesn't seem to have those time limits, but you have to be next of kin, or executor of the estate, to be able to apply - per this site:

http://vitalcertificates.ca/

(Yes, I'm in Argyll - at the north end!)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2016 23:02

Perhaps the funeral home in Shoal Lake would still have a record of Adelaide's funeral, maybe with NOK details? Addresses would probably be out of date, but new occupants of those addresses might be able to help.
If, by chance, the family are still living locally, in a farming area someone would be sure to know them.

Rae's Funeral Service
521 4th Ave, Shoal Lake, MB R0J 1Z0

Phone number
204-759-2160

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2016 23:07

For Spruce Grove, I can only see mention of one funeral home, Serenity Funeral Service, but it was only started in 1999, so too late for your relatives' funerals

EDIT:
Oh no, here's another one - don't know when it started:

Hainstocks Funeral Home

address:
75 South Ave,
Spruce Grove AB, T7X 3A5
tel:
780-960-3344

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 May 2016 23:16

Just for interest -

Barbara gets a mention here (well, just her name in a list) :

PEEL, Barbara of Spruce Grove, Alberta. Veteran of World War II
http://www.canadagenweb.org/projects/honourroll/ab/index.html#P

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 May 2016 01:41

just a note, vitalcertificates.ca is *not* the place to order certificates, it is like ordering a certificate through Ancestry, a commercial site that charges twice the price for no greater service

here is Manitoba's official info

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/entitled.html

Death:
Any person with a valid reason.
Only next-of-kin may obtain a certified photocopy of a death registration.

the form is here

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/certificate_apps.html

and it asks 'Reason for application' ... I imagine saying 'family history' and stating your relationship might do

This is Alberta's info

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Death-certificates-eligibility.cfm

but I think all that is saying is that you can't get an actual certificate or certified copy of registration ... you could still get a photocopy:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/death-certificates.cfm

but I agree that contacting the cemetery or funeral home is a good place to start

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 May 2016 01:48

there's a public family tree on Ancestry that the site is refusing to show me

that has

Reginald Ewbank Hurt Peel
Birth: 15 Jun 1912 - Canada
Death: 24 Oct 1977 - Shoal Lake, Manitoba
Marriage: 1 Nov 1947 - Strathclair, Manitoba
F: Ralph Lawrence Hurt Peel
M: Catherine Ewbank Hannah Edmundson

and apparently has photographs attached to the record

do you know the person who has that tree (Cleur family tree)?

and would this be your Francis Neville Peel?

https://www.myheritage.com/photo-1500061_171091212_171091212/francis-neville-peel

EMMAPEEL

EMMAPEEL Report 19 May 2016 09:58

I don't know the Cleurs but I did email them on the site a week or so ago and got no reply as yet.
However today I made contact with a descendant from another tree on this site (Edmundson) via a marriage to one of the brothers and she has given me everything I need to know and there is family still living on the farm there, so I have solved it. I have found my relations.

How amazing and wonderful is that!

The Manitoba authorities wouldn't give me a death cert (you were quite right, its less than 50 years and I am not next of kin) and nor would Alberta.

Many thanks to everyone out there, what an amazing this site it.
:-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 19 May 2016 13:43

I just want to clear that up in case anyone else needs the info in future

If you actually applied for a death certificate (or made enquiries) and were denied it, that seems to be because a *certificate* is not available to non-eligible people.

It appears that others may be able to obtain non-certified copies of death records (all that is needed for most family history purposes).

Glad to hear you have made contact (or will soon make contact I guess?) :-)

EMMAPEEL

EMMAPEEL Report 19 May 2016 15:14

I contacted the Vital Stats Agency in Winnipeg and asked for either a death certificate, information on next of kin, surviving relatives, or any other help they could give me. I also asked them to pass on MY details to any surviving members of my family if they could - and also if they could forward a letter on my behalf.
No to all the above, they wouldn't pass me any information and it was a rather curt one liner reply to my lengthy enquiry.
I was not eligible for the main certificate, and I wasn't aware of the non-certified copy that I could have asked for.
However, I have found my relations, through contacting a tree based in US on Ancestry and also through all the amazing information that pops up here.

I hope that clarifies what I did thanks

Carley

Carley Report 22 Sep 2017 15:54

Emma, I have been trying to find a way to contact you as I am the niece of Neville Peel, and know the whole family. I am from Spruce Grove, Alberta where I lived next door to Uncle Neville for 20 years. My dad's sister, Auntie Babe, was his wife. I don't know how much information you have been able to find, but I can share with what I have. I have all of my aunt's records, as they didn't have a family and I was it. I now live in London, and I am assuming you are from somewhere in the UK.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 22 Sep 2017 16:11

Welcome to the boards Carley.

Please, for your own safety, edit your post to remove all conact details. This is not a secure site & you wouldn't want a load of weirdos phoning or emailing you.

The best way to get hold of Emma is to send her a personal message by clicking on her name. As long as she is using the same linked email address, and can access it, she'll be able to reply to you off board.