Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CANADA (winnepeg) Young,Lee,Gerk,Harrison,Melville

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummie46

brummie46 Report 12 Jun 2016 11:35

Trying to find any people with these names for my husbands gr grandmother (young) emigrated from UK in 1921 and took the following children Charles, William, Lilly and Ivy.
Ivy had three children by Henry Lee, a son (name not known) Rose Marie 1931 and Sylvia 1933. Sadly these have passed away and Sylvia married into the name of Gerk just wondering if any children. Ivy re married into name of Harrison in Kelowna BC. Not to sure but Lilly possibly wed a David Melville in Winnipeg. Charles young died in Michigan 1981. No info on what happened to Wiliam Young. If anyone there in Canada know of anyone having or had these names it would be fantastic if you could let me know or even better still do some look ups for me. Anything you can find would be appreciated. thank you

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 13:44

Would this tie in with what you know of Sylvia?

http://www.yourlifemoments.ca/sitepages/obituary.asp?oid=648868

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Jun 2016 14:48

good find Rose

at least one of the grandchildren has a listing here

http://www.canada411.ca/search/?stype=si&what=gerk&where=alberta

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Jun 2016 15:07

this is the Young-Melville marriage in question

http://vitalstats.gov.mb.ca/Query.php

GROOM'S LAST NAME: MELVILLE
GROOM'S GIVEN NAMES: DAVID
BRIDE'S LAST NAME: YOUNG
BRIDE'S GIVEN NAMES: LILLIE MAY
DATE OF MARRIAGE: 31/12/1931
PLACE OF MARRIAGE: WPG
REGISTRATION NUMBER: 1931,062144

Does that fit with your Lilly's name?

I can't see a 1921 passenger record for the family.

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 15:09

Sending an FB link to one of those named on Obit... other related names in friend's list

brummie46

brummie46 Report 12 Jun 2016 17:04

thanks again Rambling Rose

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Jun 2016 17:15

you're welcome, brummie46

my point being: that is the Melville-Young marriage ...

do you have independent information, like is this something known within the family, that Lilly Young married David Melville?

or is this something that has been found and suggested as being your Lilly, but could be someone else?

if there is family knowledge that she married Melville, then it would be worth following that trail ... if not, then it isn't.

It may be that the current generation of Gerks knows Lilly's family, but they might not ... I suppose it makes sense to wait and see what sort of response you get from them.

Hopefully Facebook bears fruit. If not, it is very easy to write to the grandchild with the 'Texan' name in the telephone directory :-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 12 Jun 2016 17:22

Incidentally Wanda on FB looks just like her mother!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Jun 2016 19:58

This is Brummie46's other thread with the background story of these people's ancestry, and where she found their names.
It also gives the 1921 passenger record for Emily J Young and her children (on page 2):

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1360336

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 12 Jun 2016 21:06

right ...

There are getting to be too many threads about different members of the same family, with the available info too scattered to follow.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 13 Jun 2016 16:02

JoonieCloonie - the two threads were done separately for searching for the names Jones and Young to which the certain people looking for had same mother but different fathers. One request was also for a census look up. The response and brilliant information received to date from ArgyllGran and Andy and a couple of others have helped me enormously and thank you to them.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 13 Jun 2016 17:05

you're ever so welcome for the info I provided
- for how to contact family members
- about the Young-Melville marriage, even though you have not acknowledged it or replied to my question about where the info about that marriage came from, so that further searching could be done if it proved to be relevant ...

brummie46

brummie46 Report 13 Jun 2016 18:33

Sorry JoonieCloonie in not acknowledging your info on marriage of Young-Melville. I am no totally sure if same people but it looks probable. I'm awaiting some feed back on fb from Canada.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 25 Jul 2016 07:35

I have found further information I believe that relates to the young family. amongst my husbands grandmothers photos etc., (half sister to the youngs) I came across a photo way back and written on it is to my dearest sister Florence (husbands grandmother) from your loving sister Lily. I believe it is her husband standing next to her and young boy named David. think the photo could have been taken in 1930s sometime.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 30 Dec 2016 16:16

nudge - hoping the following generation names might jolt someone memory in C anada.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Jan 2017 10:02

Brummie46 - did you follow up on any of the suggestions made?

If so do you want to tell us whether there was any useful contact?

If you look on the main board list, your thread has been viewed by 34 people since you posted it.

It isn't going to jolt anyone's memory in Canada because no one in Canada is likely ever going to see it ... unless they search for the list of surnames together that you have listed, maybe ...

The way to find people is almost always to look for them, not to wait for them to come looking for you. :-)

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 3 Jan 2017 10:32

just a note from your other thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1360336?page=1

before seeing that, I had searched at Find A Grave and written, but then not posted, a message here to ask whether Charles H Young who died in Michigan was your man, and pointed out that his granddaughter maintains the memorial page at the Find A Grave site and can be reached through there

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=8075939

However, that is definitely not your Charles.

born Albion Township (Michigan)
Parents:
Albert Edward Young (1877 - 1919)
Laura Caroline Kleist Young (1881 - 1943)
Sibling:
Infant Male Young (1910 - 1910)

That Charles is in the 1910 and 1920 Michigan censuses with parents Laura and Albert (assuming that his granddaughter had assigned him the correct parents, of course).

I don't know where the idea came from that it was your Charles Young ... Andestry and the foolish people who adopt its 'hints' into their trees undoubtedly :-P ... but it definitely is not.

So whether he actually died in Michigan is an open question, unless you contact that tree owner to ask the source of their information.

EDITED because I had posted confusing information.

The new GRO index on line tells us:

This is older brother James, born in the right place?

Name: YOUNG, JAMES LAWRENCE
Mother's Maiden Surname: LAWRENCE
GRO Reference: 1901 M Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 479

Did Hertfordshire come into this? - info removed; not relevant
(it was my foggy memory of Herefordshire in the other thread)

births of Young children showing mother's surname:

YOUNG, NORA LOUISA
LAWRENCE
GRO Reference: 1898 S Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 506

YOUNG, WILLIAM JOHN
LAWRENCE
GRO Reference: 1908 J Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 478
(so the Charles birth above can't be your Charles, because born same year)

YOUNG, IVY ELSIE
LAWRENCE
GRO Reference: 1912 J Quarter in KINGS NORTON Volume 06C Page 877

So whither your Charles who was aged 4 in the 1911 census?

.... aargh

YOUNG, CHARLES HENRY
>> LAWRANCE
GRO Reference: 1906 D Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 471

and

YOUNG, LILY MAY
>> LAURENCE
GRO Reference: 1910 M Quarter in KING'S NORTON Volume 06C Page 429

brummie46

brummie46 Report 4 Jan 2017 21:00

Hi JoonieCloonie, thank you for what you have forwarded but just trying to grasp it all. I don't think Hertfordshire comes into the equation though. The search I am doing is from my late husbands side of family and he never heard his grandmother mention that she had half siblings in Canada although a lot of photos were obtained when she passed away. It looks like that my husband gr.grandmother (Emily) remarried and had few more children then went off to Canada by that time she left three children (adults) back in UK. Thank you for your time and will try and delve a little more.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jan 2017 08:31

I'm afraid I got confused, with the multitude of irrelevant info posted by people in your other thread (why don't people remove info that is shown to be incorrect??)

and I neglected to notice that the Young marriage only accounted for the children starting in 1898

I have edited that post to take out the irrelevant information

mainly I started out trying to find an accurate birthdate for Charles ... which can help identify a death, etc.

You did maybe notice that I explained that the Charles who died in Michigan was definitely NOT your Charles?

Maybe next time you won't start yet another thread about these same people ... at least not without mentioning the facts that have been determined already -- or stating as fact things that are not actually facts.

From the opening post in this thread:

"Charles young died in Michigan 1981."

Nope.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 5 Jan 2017 08:33

And then the question you haven't answered ever.

Did you follow up on any of the suggestions given in your other thread?

The telephone directory listing I told you?

The Facebook connection you were given?

Anything?