Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomson

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 09:40

Hi, I have found out recently that I may have a step brother or sister born after 1940.
My father George Henderson Thomson was born 1906 Cornhill Northumberland. He married my mother Jessie Potts in 1939 . Jessie Potts was born1909 and died 1994 aged 84yrs old. George Henderson Thomson lived with his grandparents Robert Thomson and Euphemia Henderson in 1911 while his parents William Thomson born c1880 and Alison (Alice) Brown lived elsewhere in 1911. According to the census records William and Alison were married 1908 two years after the birth of son George Henderson Thomson so its possible Alison was Williams second wife, or they just married after the birth of son. George Henderson Thomson had an affair with another woman which resulted in a child being born. I would love to meet with my step brother or sister (or perhaps their family) if possible. Can anyone advise or help me :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Sep 2016 11:10

As you share a parent, wouldn't you be a half-sibling? Unless your father was named on the child's BC, its almost impossible to identify a child born outside of his marriage.
Even then, Thomson was rather a common surname.

Would the conception have taken place in Northumberland?

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 11:37

Sorry Duh! yes I would be a half sibling Wasnt thinking. Yes he or she would be born in Northumberland.. It was kept a secret until recently which I am quiet sad about.

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 11:41

Im guessing it would have been Berwick as that narrows it down.. George Hendry Thomson died 1963?

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 11:43

Since the half sibling would also share the same grandparents I thought I might have found him/her this way on Ancestry but no luck there either
:-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Sep 2016 12:05

It all depends if the child knew who their biological father was. Unless your father gave permission for his own name to appear on the child's BC, the child may not know. The mother may have either given the child up for adoption, or they weren't told about their biological father.

Apart from Searching All Member's trees for your father and grandparent's names, you could search freebmd for all Thomson born in the Berwick area. Click on the page number to see if the child's BC contained other surnames eg the mother was married to someone else at the time. The index would show the husband's surname, the mother's maiden surname and the declared biological father's surname.

If the mother was unmarried and your father's name isn't on his BC, then look for birth regs where the only surname listed is the mmn. Even then, there's no guarentee that its your father's child.

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 12:13

George H Thomson and Jessie Potts had a son Robert Thomson born 1940.

George H Thomson and Jessie Potts married Glendale Northumberland 1939. 10b 1399

malyon

malyon Report 8 Sep 2016 12:19

deleted my post on the marriage I found it now

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 8 Sep 2016 12:25

Oh well! sound like Im chasing a lost cause...so disappointed that I may never find him/her
:-(

malyon

malyon Report 8 Sep 2016 16:59

you should remove the full date of birth

so George and Jessie only had one child

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 9 Sep 2016 10:10

Yes!! Just the one son Robert born 1940.. He had another child with someone else which is who I'm trying to trace.. :-S

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 9 Sep 2016 12:03

Managed to trace George Henderson Thomson will in 1963. It listed 3 people (1) Jessie Thomson "widow" (2) Robert Thomson "upholsterer and (3) Andrew Anderson "solicitor". Robert Thomson was his son with wife Jessie. Who could this Andrew Anderson be? was it the normal practice to include a solicitor in your will or could this have been his other son who was a solicitor??? anyone have any ideas about wills/

:-S

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 9 Sep 2016 12:06

I checked up an Andrew N Anderson and this one was born 1941 in Northumberland his mother was Anderson so could this be him or am I just grasping at starws?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2016 12:20

Difficult to say - Andrew N Anderson could just be the solicitor who helped arrange Probate.
The people named as executors aren't necessarily heirs.
There are a number of Probate Calendar entries where the Executors are Banks.

You could order a copy from this site at a cost of £10
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

Find the entry again to get the full details required - make sure you highlight the middle tab 1858-1996

malyon

malyon Report 9 Sep 2016 13:21

there is a marriage in 1971 Andrew n Anderson in newcastle

and there is a marriage in 1975 for a Andrew n Anderson in northumberland

malyon

malyon Report 9 Sep 2016 13:30

there is only one birth in 1941 for a Andrew n Anderson so wonder if he died

ANDREW NICHOLSON ANDERSON

England & Wales deaths 1837-2007

Collections from
Northumberland

Year

Birth Year

Event Quarter

District

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 29 Sep 2016 09:15

Still looking for my fathers half sibling.. Came across a few births between 1940-1946 and have been in touch wth the registrars in Northumberland. They say the only one who fits the profile is a Hugh G Thomson born 1942 who was born Carham Northumberland which is very near to where my father was born.. Mother's surname was Thomson?? a servant in Carham No father listed... I have tried other family trees but Hugh G Thomson doesnt appear anywhere. Nor in Ancestry. Looks like a lost cause in finding this Hugh G Thomson :-( :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Sep 2016 09:29

Were the Registrars able to say if he was formally adopted? There's often a notation in the margin if that was the case.

If you have a copy of the cert, have you tried tracing the mother forwards? Bearing in mind the period, even if you were able to find any legitimate descendants, they may not know they had another sibling.

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 29 Sep 2016 09:34

They didnt say.. Just that he was a possibility due to the area... :-(

Treemadnancy

Treemadnancy Report 29 Sep 2016 09:36

My father didnt know he had a sibling until after his mother died...It was a kept secret among the family and was never mentioned.... now he has been left wondering..
:-(