Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

info on Ian Scott

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jamie

Jamie Report 9 Oct 2016 13:02

I'm looking for my biological father, his name (as far as I'm aware) is Ian Scott, originally from Scotland I think, moved to Leytonstone East London and left when me and my brother were young (for reasons I don't know). I know he returned to Scotland and worked on the oil rigs. His year of birth I'd guess would be around 1968, quite tall, maybe 6 foot plus and he himself was adopted. My mums name is Lara.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2016 13:35

Welcome to the boards Jamie.
Its good that you mentioned that he was adopted as otherwise we'd be looking for Scottish Birth registrations. Unless you know what his birth name was, that's not practical.

Can or would your mother give you a more accurate year of birth? Does she know anything about his adoptive family members such as names of his 'parents' or 'siblings'? Sometimes we have to go backwards or sideways to be able to move forwards.

'Quite young' covers a multitude of sins - roughly which year did your parents part company? If he is named on your BC, does it give any initials?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2016 14:01

Not that it would make the search any easier, but could he have used the Scottish spelling Iain?

Jamie

Jamie Report 9 Oct 2016 14:25

In all honesty I haven't spoke to my mum about this as I don't know what her reaction would be... I'll dig a bit and see what else I can, as for the spelling of his name, it could be spelt the Scottish way... I haven't really given enough info to go on really have I? I think the year of birth is correct as he was a little older than my mum...

Jamie

Jamie Report 9 Oct 2016 14:27

He is not on my BC, I was about 4 when he left so your talking 24 years ago

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Oct 2016 17:20

Assuming you all lived together, he might be on the Electoral Roll which is searchable by address. 1990's ones might be held at the nearest library with a local studies section. If they don't have them, they could probably tell you who does.

If you'd rather not ask your mother at this stage, tracking the entry down could confirm the correct spelling & any other names or initials.

As you can imagine, current ERs show a multitude of entries for Ian Scott (or variations) around the country. You can get an idea of the problem by doing a free search on 192.com.

l'd have thought that anyone he'd worked with on the rigs would have moved on-shore by now, but there might still be some around. Aberdeen, 'somewhere in the Orkneys', Bacton (I'm informed) were or are shore bases for the N Sea oil & gas rigs. There may have been others. Depending on your determination and mother's future cooperation, a long shot would be to place adverts in the Local press, initially for Aberdeen.

Of course, if he'd made the O&G industry his career, he could be anywhere in the world by now. You may end up having to ask your mum about any family he mentioned.

Jamie

Jamie Report 9 Oct 2016 19:02

I appreciate your help, it's much appreciated... I'll find out what I can and research as much as I can... I understand it isn't going to be an easy feat or it may not come to nothing at all, but I'll give it a go. My mum would probably be the easiest route to take, so I may just try my luck there.