Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A Friend looking for her birth mother.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nadia

Nadia Report 24 Oct 2016 21:52

I posted earlier on the general chat and the lady told me to post onto here.

Firstly Daphne Webb (this is her birth name on BC) has currently applied for her adoption pack through the council who have told her that it will take some time before she will receive it.

She has desperately turned to me to research some bits for her.

She was born in 1969. Adopted at birth. Her mother was Welsh and her name was Jane Webb. The birth certificate states Jane's normal address was 169 Adelaide Road Hampstead.

The 1969 Electoral Rolls did not give Jane Webb''s name at this address as she was only 16 when she had Daphne.

I check the three sets of names on there for 1969 only one couple were there prior to this date in the available rolls up to 1965.

I have compiled two possible trees for her but not given her any information. There were two Jane Webb''s born in Wales 1953 & 1954.

Daphne told me that someone had given her information about two Jane Webbs born in Wales.

I have a suspicion Jane Webb may have attended a school (all girls) in Hampstead in 1969 but I cannot find any information to pin point anything.

I have told her to chase up the adoption pack.

I do not know if anyone can advise me on what else she can do to hurry things along.

malyon

malyon Report 24 Oct 2016 22:04

this is the birth has a S meaning adopted

Births Jun 1969   (>99%)

WEBB
 Daphne
 WEBB
 Westminster
 5e
1790s

Nadia

Nadia Report 24 Oct 2016 22:35

Yes I have that. Thank you.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Oct 2016 22:57

Nadia,

Until she has seen a councellor she cant access her file its a condition that is required,so things cant be hurried and its unwise to do so until the paperwork has been read through,it may hold a letter or some vital information that is very useful for a quicker contact..

Nadia

Nadia Report 24 Oct 2016 23:19

Thank you. She hasn't said this to me. Just asking her now.

patchem

patchem Report 24 Oct 2016 23:37

If Jane was 16 when she had Daphne, then she was born in 1952 or 1953, not 1954.

Have you looked to see if any are in trees on here?

Nadia

Nadia Report 24 Oct 2016 23:47

Sorry just checked the e-mail again. She said her mother was 15 when she had her.

The birth certificate gives Jane Webb birthplace as Wales.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2016 00:47

A UK birth certificate doesn't give the mother's place of birth, so how does she know her mother was born in Wales?

As others have said, wait and see what the adoption records have to say. Without wishing to raise her hopes, we did have one gentleman on here who discovered that his birth mother wanted contact. She had left him a letter on his file.

Nadia

Nadia Report 25 Oct 2016 01:17

I have the copy of the birth certificate and it says mother Jane Webb usual address 169 Adelaide Road, Hampstead. Place of birth Wales.

I have already had this conversation with my friend and she now feels she is secure enough to cope even if it turns out her birth mother wants no contact. I do suspect in the back of her mind that she may not want that outcome though.

I've done all my usual tricks that I do when searching for people.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Oct 2016 05:31

You friend posted back in 2013:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1329717

Rose

Kay????

Kay???? Report 25 Oct 2016 10:49

Det

BC from that time do state parents birthplace.as they do now.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 Oct 2016 12:11

Really? Well, well. It's not something I'd noticed on our children's. Can't look for myself as they are now their own custodians. :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Oct 2016 15:41

if the mum usually lived in wales maybe she was sent to a mother and baby home awaiting delivery of her baby

it looks now to have been converted into maisonettes

Nadia

Nadia Report 26 Oct 2016 20:47

Thank you for the comments.

I hope you didn't take my comment about the mothers birthplace the wrong way.

I have copies of the birth certifIcate, the adoption certificate and court paper.

I was aware my friend had asked on here previously.

She is currently due to see a counsellor. Hopefully things may start moving forward for her now.

In the meantime she has asked me to look into the Webb family from Merthyr again.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Oct 2016 23:06

As you have a suggested birth for Jane in 1953, you can identify her possible siblings, and her parents marriage.

Is your friend prepared to get her birth certificate and her parents' marriage certificate for more information?

If it is the Merthyr birth, the grandmother of Daphne appears to be fairly easily identified. As do the grandmother's parents.

Nadia

Nadia Report 26 Oct 2016 23:28

I will as soon as I get the go ahead order all the relevant certificates for her. I don't think ordering any of those now will determine if it is the correct family. I do know however that in that family Jane her sister and their mother are all still alive.

patchem

patchem Report 26 Oct 2016 23:42

Yes, I thought a lot of that family are still alive.

Nadia

Nadia Report 25 May 2017 09:18

Just thought you may all like an update.
Adoption file gave a different DOB for Jane - 1951.
I worked quickly to make up a new tree. I searched for Jane on Genes Reunited family trees and found her. I searched the electoral rolls on GR for Jane born 1951 Bridgend. Found her by searching without a surname and one came up with the same surname as the tree owner I found her on. I searched for Jane's father on GR family trees and he also came up on that tree.

I did a little searching on social media and realised the whole family were on Facebook.

We wrote to Jane and she had been looking for her daughter for years without success.

So happy to say they are now all talking and will have their first family reunion on 11th June.

Been very scary for my friend and very emotional for the whole family but I'm just so pleased for them all.

She has a half sister a half brother and four little neices and nephews.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 25 May 2017 09:47

That is such good news,thank you for the up-date :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 25 May 2017 11:11

Well done. Thank you for letting us know :-)