Find Living Relatives

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bronwynnne Settle and her brother Bruce Settle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Jan 2017 21:11

Hi everyone,

I am trying to find my husband's Aunt Bronwynne & Uncle Bruce Settle. Their sister Maureen (dec) was his mother. I have not found anything in the death register for either of them so they may still be living. I know when they were young they traveled between Uganda & the UK. I believe Bruce and his wife have 2 sons and a daughter and they were born in Uganda. I have Bruce & his wife traveling to the UK in 1960 but cannot find anything else. Bronwynne is also very hard to trace. I have a marriage to Thomas Hayden in 1976 but my husband said they divorced and she returned to her maiden name of Settle. He unfortunately lost contact with them after Bronwynne & her Mother Winifred viisited my husband in Australia in the 1980s. Any help would be appreciated thank you.
I am in Australia so I may take a while to respond due to time differences :-) Thanks again & have a great day :-) :-)

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jan 2017 22:15

Just checking - did Bruce marry and have the children in Uganda, but you do not know the name of his wife?

Also, Bruce Settle born 1934?

Thanks

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2017 22:35

As you hadn't mentioned years of birth, is this relevant?

Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960 Transcription

BRONWYNNE
Last name SETTLE
Gender Female
Birth year 1949
Birth day 5
Birth month 6
Marital status S
Departure year 1956
Departure day 14
Departure month 12
Departure port LONDON
Destination port MOMBASA
Destination MOMBASA
Country KENYA
Destination country KENYA
Ship name KENYA
Ship master's first name ?
Ship master's last name DENINGHAM
City LONDON
Ship destination port BEIRA
Ship destination country MOZAMBIQUE

Travelling with
Ronald Settle 20 Aug 1909
Winifred Mary 14 Aug 1912
Maureen 1938
Sheila Eileen 1935
Presumably you know what happened to Maureen & Sheila.

Address in the UK
Sea Spary, Park Road, East Beech, Selsey

The 1976 marriage took place in Surrey.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2017 22:38

Unfortunately, if the birth date is correct, there is some sad news. Will send by PM

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jan 2017 22:53

There is also probate for Bronwynne in 1992.

Just for info., parents' marriage:
Marriages Jun 1933
Settle Ronald Tucker Huddersfield 9a 837
TUCKER Winifred M Settle Huddersfield 9a 837

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2017 22:59

Really? I did look but didn't spot it. Edit - have now. :-0

Re Bruce - it looks as if he married in Chichester in 1956 & possible the same lady again in 1983 in Rugby. He was living in Coventry until 2014 then must have opted out.
Its could be a fluke if there were 2 Bruce's marrying ladies of the same name.

patchem

patchem Report 12 Jan 2017 23:02

The incoming passenger lists have Bruce Settle with wife Sheila E and son Timothy J in 1959.

There is a Timothy J Settle on 192.com of about the correct age. Worth contacting?

Added: Ancestry also shows marriages for Timothy.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jan 2017 23:05

The Sheila E is the wife x 2 I'd found.
The Coventry house hasn't been sold since 2014, so either he still lives there or the neighbours may have contact details for him.

Both the boys - the other is Jonathan M - were registered in Uganda

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 12 Jan 2017 23:57

Thanks all for your help :-) Greatly appreciated. Sad about Bronwynne. It was always assumed that she retuned to her maiden name when she divorced, but I could not find a divorce registered. Bruce was married to Sheila (nee Connor). I found 3 children born in Uganda. You were all right with Timothy & Jonathan. I believe he also had a daughter Amanda. I believe Bronwynne's mother Winfred Mary died in 1995, so she outlived both her daughters. Hopefully Bruce may still be alive, he would be a good age being born in 1934. I will try that info on 192.com thanks,although I am not a paying member of 192.com.

Thanks again all of you I greatly appreciate it. You are all amazing :-)

Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 13 Jan 2017 00:10

Don't subscribe just yet - I'll send you the addresses we've found