Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 honorable discharge

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Raymond

Raymond Report 13 Aug 2014 15:08

I have my grandfathers Hon Discharge, Regiment and Number but cannot link these to any particular battle in WW1.
Any advice please
RDP

Potty

Potty Report 13 Aug 2014 15:54

If you have his regiment, you could try looking on the National Archives for its War Diary. These are in the process of being transcribed so his may not be on there yet.

Most men would have fought in more than one battle and even if you had his service record, it would not show particular areas where he served.

The service records that survive are on Ancestry. If you do not have access, post his details (name, POB, DOB) and somebody will check for you.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 13 Aug 2014 18:50

Forces War Records is a pretty rubbish site for records but it is quite useful for potted histories where regiments/battalions were at certain times so if you want to give details will take a look (might as well get some use out of it as I won't renew the sub).

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Aug 2014 13:01

Hello Raymond and welcome to the Community boards.

I'll let Raymond know how to find his way back to his replies. :-)

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 14 Aug 2014 17:48

Raymond - try Googling for the appropriate Regimental Museum - they usually have the War Diaries and will often copy them for you at a reasonable cost.

Sue

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 15 Aug 2014 11:34

Just had a nice PM from Ray saying thankyou, so have advised him that it might be best to reply on here so that people know he is still participating.

Sue