Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Edgar Kingsley Venables

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christopher

Christopher Report 23 Aug 2014 11:16

Ambulance driver both wars. Died France Feb. 1940. Buried at Evreux. Anyone have access to Forces War Records? Wondering how he died .

Chris

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2014 11:36

You'd need the DC and hope that it gives a cause, rather than KIA.

GRO WAR DEATHS ARMY OTHER RANKS (1939 to 1948)
First Name EDGAR K
Last Name VENABLES
Year 1940
Soldier Number T/160425
Rank Driver
Unit Or Regiment Royal Army Service Corps
Volume ? (might be 22)
Page 340
Record set British nationals armed forces deaths 1796-2005
Record collection Deaths & burials
Category Births, Marriages & Deaths
Collections from Great Britain
Record Source GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1939 to 1948)

Transcriptions © brightsolid online publishing ltd

His service records would be with the MOD. Depending on your relationship you might be able to order them for a cost of £30. Trace through from the following link

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2014 11:42

Do you have this? From the CWGC site
VENABLES, EDGAR KINSLEY

Service No: T/160425
Date of Death: 17/02/1940
Regiment/Service:Royal Army Service Corps 149 Field Amb.
Grave Reference:Row B. Grave 22.
Cemetery:EVREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Husband of Jessie Turner Venables, of Torquay, Devon. Also served in the 1914-18 war.

A photo of his grave is here
http://twgpp.org/information.php?id=3787846

You can request a copy that doesn't have 'copyright' superimposed for a donation of £3.50.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Aug 2014 16:02

The photographs that you get from the War Graves Photographic Project are really high quality and well worth paying for - especially if the grave is in a place that you don't think you are ever likely to visit yourself. I got a photo of my great uncle's name on a monument in Iraq and they also sent a photo of the whole monument as well.

Kath. x

Flip

Flip Report 23 Aug 2014 17:58

I guess he must have lied about his age to get to serve in WW2, born in 1891 would have made him 49 when he was killed. Brave man!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Aug 2014 21:45

Just in answer to Christopher's question "Anyone have access to Forces War Records?"

Yes, I do. Thank heaven's I only took out a sub when they had a special offer on and didn't pay full price. I definitely won't renew.

They don't seem to have any actual records per se about individuals and they certainly don't offer anything that isn't available on other sites.

The information they offer for Edgar KINSLEY Venables is only that which is on CWGC
http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2320773/VENABLES,%20EDGAR%20KINSLEY

plus hypothesis about which medals he might have been entitled to (not actual medal records)

Christopher

Christopher Report 23 Aug 2014 22:02

Many thanks thanks for your replies. I can only assume that my father's cousin most probably died of natural causes as hostilities had yet to begin. Thanks for saving me a river!!
Chris

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Aug 2014 23:33

Maybe totally unrelated but I came across the attached while browsing the newspaper achives. Did your Edgar K have any connection to Mousehole?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/keepsafe/asset/details/8298245

From Western Morning News dated 04 February 1925

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 23 Aug 2014 23:49

There's a War Diary covering 149 Field Ambulance for the appropriate period at the National Archives which would tell you where they were and what they were involved in. Not online, though - you would need to go there or get someone to go for you.

Gritty

Gritty Report 9 Sep 2014 14:52

Name(s) Edgar Kingsley Venables
Service number M2/081583
Rank Private, Second Lieutenant, Lieutenant
Corps Army Service Corps
Service record Soldier Number: M2/081583, Rank: Private, Corps: Army Service Corps
Service record 2 Rank: Second Lieutenant, Corps: Army Service Corps
Service record 3 Rank: Lieutenant, Corps: Army Service Corps
Archive reference WO372/20
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
URL http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D5679992
Country Great Britain
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards

Address crossed out on Medal card is Brougham House, Olton, Warwickshire. It is replaced with: 1914/15 star to sent to 15 George Street, Mansion House, EC4