Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Civil Service Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 20 Sep 2014 09:55

Good morning, not sure if anyone could assist please. I have someone who worked for the Civil Service in Cyprus between 1959 and 1963. We are desperately trying to obtain his service record. Not sure if this would come under the War Office or MOD. Excuse my ignorance in this. I have contacted the Civil Service who were not at all helpful and told me to send an email, that was four weeks ago and no one has bothered to respond. Just wondered if anyone on GR has any ideas please/ The person in question although born in England served in Cyprus between the above years but am sure his records would be here in England somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, not sure if this is the right board to post on.

Regards

Kathryn

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Sep 2014 20:16

It was a civil position within the government and employed by them usually in administration role,which covers many areas.

.I doubt there would or will be any access to employment records.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Sep 2014 22:44

The Civil Service is divided into many different departments, which come under various Government Ministers, so before you can start looking you need to know exactly which bit he worked for.

As far as I know, records for personnel who may still be alive are confidential and not available to the general public.

Some older records are in the National Archives, and the following link might be useful.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/civil-crown-servant.htm

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 21 Sep 2014 08:13

Hello. Thank you for replying to my post. I believe he worked for the War Office. Whilst he was posted in Cyprus he worked in accommodation. With regard to obtaining records if there are any in existence, I have an authority to request the same. It's just that I don't know where to start in finding out which organisation might
hold the same. When I'm back at work tomorrow I'll ring the National Archives to see if they can shed any light.

Thank you once again for your input, much appreciated.

Kind regards

Kathryn

Flip

Flip Report 22 Sep 2014 06:18

If this person is still alive you could try the Dept for Work & Pensions - there's a form to complete, detailing his approx years of employment. If he was in a pension scheme (which most public sector employees were) they should be able to point you in the direction of the penson administrators.

https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-pension

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 22 Sep 2014 06:39

Morning. Thank you Flip for your response. I'll be on the case today.

Kind regards

Kathryn