Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help with Army records please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trudy

Trudy Report 25 Nov 2014 18:51

Hello I was wondering if anyone could help me find info on my husbands grandad robert brown b1893 woolwich we know he was in the army about the time of ww1 his serial number was 26271 and he served in the worchestershire regiment but don't know much else..

Thank you in advance for any help

Trudy :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 25 Nov 2014 21:47

His service record is on Ancestry

Name: Robert Brown
Birth Date: abt 1893
Age at Enlistment: 22
Residence Place: 22 Congres Road, Abbey Wood Kent
Document Year: 1915
Regimental Number: 26271
Regiment Name: Bn The Worcestershire
Number of Images: 16
Form Title: Short Service Attestation

Also a Medal Card

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 26 Nov 2014 02:08

According to his record as mentioned by Glitterbaby above, he was found sleeping at his post 14.4.17, for which he was sentenced to death 19.4.17, but this was commuted to 5 years penal servitude which was suspended 27.4.17.

However he is also described as of good conduct and a hard working soldier from the period after his sentence was commuted in 4.17 to time of the report 20.5.19

He managed to lose his canteen,lost his clasp knife by neglect, and used insubordinate language to a superior officer...

He also signed a confession of desertion and fraudulent enlistment at one point. Several pages are in very poor condition.

Trudy

Trudy Report 26 Nov 2014 07:10

Thank you so much for finding this info for me

My husband will enjoy reading your posts about his grandads behaviour lol

Trudy :-)