Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Marlbough Laurence

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 7 Dec 2014 03:02

My brother-in- law died in Melbourne Australia in 1991, and was born in Liverpool England in the 1930's . Being in the Navy all his life he was buried at sea. I have been told that the hearse wound it's way through the city of Melbourne that day , but nowhere can I find any mention of it. Is it because he was buried " at Sea"? Not even a death notice.
Can you please help

Thank you in advance :-( :-S

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Dec 2014 11:28

If it occurred, might there be a newspaper report?

Assuming you can't visit Melbourne to search the archives in person, have you considered approaching the Ask a Librarian service for help? Every Australian State has one.

If he left a Will, his funeral/disposal preferences might have written in that. Would burial at sea even be possible, or would it be more likely that his ashes were scattered?

Although it could be a huge task, try tracking down the funeral directors closest to his home address. They may still have records. You could also see if a cremation took place. Crematorium are on-line. If a record exists, they could tell you if the ashes were collected which lends credence to the scattering theory.

Is it permissible for your husband or other birth relative to apply for a copy of his DC? I know the Australian laws are very hot on privacy! Disposal of remains could be mentioned on that.

sheilafromdownunder

sheilafromdownunder Report 7 Dec 2014 14:38

Thank you very much . that is good advice, and I'll try in the morning :-)