Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ww1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 22 Mar 2015 21:17

I am trying to research Smith members of the family who served in ww1.

Has anyone got any tips on best way to proceed as none alive and I have no records or military details.

I suspect my George Smith born in 1893 in Leicester may have been killed in France.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
Angie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Mar 2015 21:31

Have you looked at CWGC for any possible deaths ? Almost 1,000 listed for George Smith

http://www.cwgc.org/

Got access to Ancestry or Findmypast to do any more research?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Mar 2015 21:31

Related thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1350571

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Mar 2015 07:17

Have you got his next of kin name. I have access to Soldier's Effects on Ancestry and it shows who the nominated person is to receive any money owed and the compensation at the end of the war.

The soldier usually nominated next of kin but it was up to him who he nominated. It was usually fathers to single soldiers or wives and children to married men. I have however had mothers named instead of fathers even when still married to their fathers'. One of my relatives named one of his sisters and his parents were still alive. She'd been widowed quite early on in the war and had 3 children, he must have thought it was the best he could do.

Angela

Angela Report 23 Mar 2015 08:15

George Smith's father had already died. His mum remarried but widowed in a year.

If he nomintated his mum, her name was then Ellen Harrison,

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 23 Mar 2015 15:13

I am going through the George Smiths but there are pages of them. You'll have to wait I'm afraid, it was a common name and with info re his regiment I'm having to check all.

Angela

Angela Report 23 Mar 2015 15:24

I appreciate any help or advice. As I seem to have Smith ancestors on both my side and my husband's, am aware how challenging the surname is.
Regards Angie

Gritty

Gritty Report 23 Mar 2015 18:19

Just putting the 1911 census up as details may help:

Ellen Harrison Head Widow Female 48 1863 Leicester Shopkeeper Grocery
Harry Smith Son Single Male 22 1889 Leicester Post Office Postman
Polly Smith Daughter Single Female 20 1891 Leicester Wharehouse Glove Bander
George Smith Son Single Male 18 1893 Leicester Printing Machine Feeder

Address 126 Crafton St Leicester
Parish Leicester
County Leicestershire
Registration district Leicester