Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Operation Doomsday 1945.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 16 May 2015 18:36

My uncle was part of the Operation Doomsday in 1945.

He was killed on 11th May, when the plane the crew was travelling in, a Sterling, LK297, crashed into the side of a mountain in Norway, coming back from a bombing raid.

I was to have gone to a 70th Anniversary Commemoration this year, but was unable to attend.

Is there any Military Association I can contact here, to get information/photos etc. of the crew?

I have written to the Imperial War Museum who have some information, but no photos.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 May 2015 22:47

What was his name?

Denis

Denis Report 17 May 2015 08:45

Some information on the Stirling crash here:

https://www.facebook.com/LK147

The aircraft was not actually engaged in bombing but was being used as a transport aircraft.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 17 May 2015 08:47

There is a web site dedicated to Operation Doomsday on Facebook..it does have some photos on it.. worth giving it a look.. if you scroll through to near the bottom there is a large group photo of the ? Squadrons prior to the crashing of the 3 Sterlings .LK147 LK297 LI899

https://www.facebook.com/LK147?fref=photo

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 17 May 2015 09:03

Thank you all so very much for your suggestions.

Yes, this is the trip I was invited to. I am in touch with Gunnar.

I am not on Facebook, but have been able to see the pages you suggested.

Thanks again.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 17 May 2015 23:14

And what was his name. as I've already asked?