Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

John Robinson RASC

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 28 May 2015 18:57

My research would be greatly helped if anyone knows of a Driver John Robinson RASC.
Born 1915 (+/-- 2 ).

Kind regards,

Trevor

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Jun 2015 22:58

If you were looking for military records, they'd still be with the MOD.

This is the link for obtaining UK service records:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

An internet search threw up this link, presumably one of yours.
http://www.wartimememoriesproject.com/ww2/view.php?uid=208296
My relative Dvr. Jack Robinson, served with 585 Coy RASC. The company was known as 585 RASC Wales, as, almost without exception, it was made up of local Welshmen. It was formed in 1943, in Risca, and moved to Raglan Barracks, Newport, Mons. for the last couple of years of WWII.

Even if you allow your sub to GR lapse, make sure that your current email address is registered to your account. That way if anyone should make a similar search in the future they will be able to contact you by clicking on your name.

Have you used the search all member trees facility to see if anyone has him listed?
An alternative is to place an advert in a local paper which covers the area he died, asking for people who remember him to contact you.

Trevor

Trevor Report 2 Jun 2015 17:05

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

That was my post that you found on the internet.

I have sent off for military records for one or two likely candidates (none the right person, alas).

The problem is that I know the name, regiment and theatre of operation, but not DOB and/or service number - which are required to get records from MOD.

Thanks for the tip about lapsing GR membership. I have searched the trees of members, which led to the searches mentioned above.

I am hopeful that the 1939 Register (out later this year) may give some new leads. Otherwise, it will be a case of waiting for 2024 - when, my MP tells me, records will go to TNA.

Kind regards,

Trevor

Gee

Gee Report 6 Jun 2015 07:09

Hi Trevor

Do you have any other information about him such as, his birth year/place, parents, siblings, wife, children

If it's possible to find his birth, you can send for the certificate - DOB

Gee

Gee Report 6 Jun 2015 07:22

According to one of your threads online, this is his death and DOB

Name:Ivor Jack Robinson

Birth Date:23 Nov 1917

Date of Registration:Apr 1988

Age at Death:70

Registration district:Kidderminster

Inferred County:Worcestershire

Volume:29

Page:459
------------------------------------------------------

His birth

Births Mar 1918

Robinson Ivor J Lacey Cardiff 11a _63

Trevor

Trevor Report 7 Jun 2015 13:02

Hello Gins,

Thanks for your replies.

I have noother information about him.

I do have Ivor Jack Robinsin's Death Certificate, which has his date of birth, so I am about to apply for any military records that he may have.

His father was in the Navy in WW1 and his uncle (by marriage) was in RASC. That uncle's son was in the army in WW2 and Ivor Jack;s older brother was killed on an Atlantic convoy during WW2. So there is some history of military service in the family.

Kind regards,

Trevor