Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dorsetshire Regiment 39th&54 Foot

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JPK

JPK Report 18 Jul 2015 09:05

Hi,

My get.grandfather was called up from the reserve in 1900 presumably because of the Boar war. Can anyone tell me how to find the regiment in 1901 census I believe the regiment may have been in Weymouth. Also were families encouraged to move with their soldier spouses, fathers etc.

Many thanks

Joan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jul 2015 10:42

Its probably best just to search for your Grt Grandfather's name.
Have you found his service records, if they survive? Postings might be listed.

Enlisted soldiers families might have followed them around, but as he was called up from the Reserve, it was probably seen as a temporary measure.
If you've found him on 1911 with a new addition to the family, the birth reg may give some indication if the child was born out of the home area.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Jul 2015 10:43

My grandfather was in the Boer War and he was in South Africa in 1901 so wasn't on the 1901 census.

What is the name you are looking for? It's easier just to look for a name than a whole regiment.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jul 2015 10:50

Weymouth Barracks has its own Enumeration District, called The Red Barracks (Barracks Lane)
RG13/1995
The 12 images seem to relate to the Royal Artillery, possibly the Royal Garrison Artillery

JPK

JPK Report 18 Jul 2015 11:26

Many thanks for the help. His name was James Godden born 1866 Lyndhurst Hants. I have looked for him in 1901 and his wife. They married 1900 in Southampton possibly because he had been called up.
I am waiting for a birth certificate 1902 Southampton where the family were in 1896 and still there in 1911.

It's frustrating that they all seem to have disappeared.

Potty

Potty Report 18 Jul 2015 12:18

Is this the family in 1911:

Name:James Henry Godden
Age in 1911:44
Estimated birth year:abt 1867
Relation to Head:Head
Birth Place:Lyndhurst
Civil Parish:St Mary
County/Island:Hampshire
Street address:104 Northumberland Road, Southampton
Marital Status:Married

James Henry Godden 44
Harriet Elizabeth Godden 42
William Godden 20
Daisy Godden 14
Ethel Godden 12
Voilet Godden 8
Alice Godden 6
Earnest Godden 5
Louis Godden 4
Ada Godden 3
Carl Godden 2/12

They say they have been married 24 years, not 10!

The 1900 marriage does not have Harriet as a possible spouse, unless she married using her second name:

Marriages Mar 1900

Glen Walter Southampton 2c 58
Godden James Henry Southampton 2c 58
Peckham Mary Louisa Southampton 2c 58
Slade Elizabeth Southampton 2c 58

Potty

Potty Report 18 Jul 2015 12:54

Could this be the son William's baptism (there is a WW1 pension record for a William Percival Godden with father James H and a CWGC record for a William Percival Godden with parents James H and Elizabeth:

Name:Percival William Slade
Baptism Date:13 Jul 1890
Baptism Place:
Hilton, Dorset, England
Father:Edward Slade
Mother:Elizabeth Slade
Abode is given as Ansty.

Elizabeth's marriage to Edward:

Marriages Dec 1887 (>99%)
Brown Elizabeth Wareham 5a 635
Slade Edward Wareham 5a 635

JPK

JPK Report 18 Jul 2015 13:26

Yes you have the right family,

My get grandmothers was bapt. Harriet Elizabeth but was known as Bessie or Elizabeth. and in 1911 as Harriet Elizabeth. She married Edward Slade in 1887 Dorset and had two sons Frederick Edward 1888 and Percival William 1890.
They were in Dorchester in 1891
Sometime after 1891. Elizabeth and her two sons moved to Southampton with her parents and some of her siblings. Seems she left her husband Edward behind and in 1901 he is recorded as widower still in Dorset
I have Elizabeth in Ivy Rd Southampton with James Godden on the birth certificate of Ethel Daisy their daughter. Elizabeth is recorded as Elizabeth Godden formally Brown her maiden name. Elizabeth married James as Elizabeth Slade very probably committing bigamy as her first husband didn't die until 1922. Adding her first marriage to her second she had been married 24 years seems she had a loose relationship with the truth. It's frustrating that they can't be found in 1901

Joan

Potty

Potty Report 18 Jul 2015 14:07

I can't find them in 1901 either, Joan! James might have been in South Africa but I doubt that the family would have gone with him. Possibly they married in 1900 so that Elizabeth could claim an allowance from the Army.

JPK

JPK Report 18 Jul 2015 15:13

They had to be somewhere I'm hoping that the birth certificate for 1902 might give a clue I've tried everything else I can think of.. Wondered if. Elizabeth and the children may be with. Another family and mistranscribed. It's frustrating because I searched for Elizabeth/Bessie for years finally found her second marriage and now it's 1901
that she's gone again. They were in Hammersmith after 1912/13 and still together so at least she didn't marry again!!

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jul 2015 11:55

I too wondered if she might be with her parents in 1901, but no luck. Possibly the children were with their Godden grandparents - haven't looked at that yet.

Edit - No luck there - James Godden senior is in the workhouse in 1901 and is a widower. Ancestry has the name as Gooden and for some reason I can't correct it!

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jul 2015 12:13

I can find all of James's siblings on the 1901 census, except for Frederick who appears to be in Malta as an Army Schoolmaster, although I do wonder if it is him as he was an Ag Lab in 1881 - seems a bit of a jump in career. His pension records are on Ancestry.

Bessie and the children are not with any of them.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jul 2015 12:19

Not a find, but this made be chuckle, given Bessie's future conduct - this is her address in 1891 living with husband Edward Slade:

Cuckolds Row Fordington St George, Dorset

JPK

JPK Report 19 Jul 2015 14:06

I had a smile at the house name.
I've. been looking for some time. Trying just Christian names or initials. My hopes are pinned on there being an address on Frances Violets birth certificate. I have a feeling she may have been living with her brother John at 104 Northumberland Road .
Is it possible they just weren't recorded?

I would like to have met her.

Potty

Potty Report 19 Jul 2015 17:07

Let us know what the birth cert shows, Joan. Love to see a mystery sorted!

JPK

JPK Report 19 Jul 2015 18:39

Ok fingers crossed it is sorted. Thankyou for your help

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 21 Jul 2015 16:28

On his military record he rejoined the Colours following a telegram on feb 9th 1900. he was discharged at the end of his term of engagement Section D on 11 feb 1902.

In the past he had served in the Mediterranean, Cyprus and Egypt, but as far as I can see, from 4.3.93 to 11.2.02 , his service was at home (at least I think so, as the word doesn't look very much like the two other instances of 'home' on the same page). he is said not to have participated in any campaigns, or been wounded, or be entitled to any medals, decorations, or annuities.

JPK

JPK Report 21 Jul 2015 17:15

Thanks Kucinta. If only it said where he was discharged to... In October 1898 they were in 104 Northumberland Rd. her brother John Brown was recorded there in 1901. But not James and his family. Would Bessie have been bold enough to return to Dorset if he was stationed there in 1901 Still waiting for the birth certificate which will hopefully give an address for JFM. IN 1902.

Gerdy

Gerdy Report 4 Aug 2015 13:05

There is a Godden family still living on Portland, Derek is the oldest I know, had a son Mark. May be related?