Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tripoli Feburary 1949 (Snow Storm).

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 5 Nov 2015 15:09

Hi, Can anyone help me trace a couple of soldier's (or members of their family), that were in the British Military Hospital in Tripoli in February 1949 after being caught in a snow storm. I have a copy of an article from the Tripoli Telegraph entitled; FROST BITTEN BOYS ARE RECOVERING. THREE DAY DESERT ORDEAL RECALLED. dated 22nd May 1949, which mentions my Father Gnr D.Vincent, and the 2 other soldiers that were with him when the storm struck, leaving them buried in snow up to 15 feet deep, the only information l have about them is the names, Gnr, Oliver and Gnr, Cook. I would like to trace them, or any members of their families to see if they are aware of what happened to their family members. As these were members of the Royal Artillery, l have passed the information l have on this to the Royal Artillery Museum. (they knew nothing of this)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2015 22:50

Welcome to the boards Alan.

With their records still being with the MOD, its impossible for us to do any research for you.
Assuming they were of a similar age to your father - was he on National Service? - try 'Search all members trees' for the surnames and an approx year of birth. If any males are listed, send a message to the tree owners to see if they have any connection.

Keep your own current email address linked to your GR accound even if you allow your sub to lapse. If someone with an interest stumbles upon this thread in years to come, they'll be able to send you a personal message by clicking on your name.

Would you like to give the postal or email address for the RA museum? That way interested parties can contact them as well.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 6 Nov 2015 06:53

According to other newspaper reports from February 1949, there were 15 Royal Artillery men marooned in the desert after the snowstorm hit. They were saved by an Arab sheikh.

Alan

Alan Report 6 Nov 2015 11:13

Hi,
The information l have sent to The Royal Artillery Museum are the letters that my Grand parents received from the Director - General Army Medical Services at the time. These are listed in the library and archive under Accession number 2015.01.13, and catalogued under collection reference MD/5020. The address of the Museum is; Old Laboratory Office, Royal Arsenal, Woolwich. London SE18 6ST.
Tele; 0208 312 7120.
Austin Q. Do you have copies of these other reports as l have not been able to trace any other copies. If so could you send me a link??. Thanks

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 6 Nov 2015 13:35

None of the UK article I found list any of the men, and most are very short. I have sent one to you- the others are very similar. If I find anything more in depth I will send it to you.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 6 Nov 2015 18:12

Once a Grenadier: The Grenadier Guards 1945- 1995. by Oliver Lindsay

"In February 1949 the weather deteriorated. Snow fell in Tripoli for the first time in living memory. No 2 Company, on a march in the hills, was cut off for 48 hours. Drifts of snow up to 15 feet were recorded. Gunners doing a survey went missing, they were found by the Grenadiers and carried on their shoulders to safety. Some Arabs, who had never seen snow before, curled up and died, claiming that it was the will of Allah."

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 May 2017 01:07

for future ref Alan, posting the same thing twice without even mentioning the efforts made in the past just invites new people to make the same efforts all over again.

All you need to do, to bring your request back up to the top for new attention, is add a post to it. Like this. :-)

new OP, copy of this OP, good thing AustinQ remembered -

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1366288

Alan

Alan Report 22 May 2017 11:34

Sorry Jooniecloonie, good point. :-(