Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

92nd foot soldiers registers of service 1756/1900

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 15 Jan 2016 11:49

I have found who I think is one of my ancestors serving with this regiment in 1845.

His name is Robert Mitchell d.o.b. 1827, it shows his place of birth as Woodside, Glasgow and occupation Ploughman but nothing else to prove that he is the person I am looking for.

I think he might be the Robert I am looking only by the address Woodside which shows on his older brother's birth records in 1825 on the OPR scottish records.

I am completely stumped with this chap as the only proof I have on him is his birth on Scotlandspeople, his parents are John and Ann nee Oliphant.
There is one Robert Mitchell on the 1841 Scottish census living with his mother Ann at Campbells land, Murray Place, Glasgow but there again I cannot verify it is him.

Does anyone know how I can find out any more about this Robert Mitchell serving with the 92nd foot soldiers ?

thank you

jean

Potty

Potty Report 17 Jan 2016 12:24

The record is in this set:

the Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900

Maybe he stayed in Canada or was killed in action. Joined in 1845. Perhaps you need to find out what was happening in Canada at that time.

Potty

Potty Report 17 Jan 2016 12:48

The 92nd Foot seems to have become the Gordon Highlanders but it doesn't seem to have been in Canada.

Jean

Jean Report 18 Jan 2016 11:27

Thank you for replying Potty,

I have been looking at the regiment but so far have found nothing about any further records that may be able to shed some light on the soldiers, but thanks for replying.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 19 Jan 2016 02:29

can only find 1 - Robert Mitchell to fit the info given.
92nd ( Gordon Highlanders )Private 1137
Serving in Jullundur India in 1871
Archive Ref WO12/9381

Jean

Jean Report 19 Jan 2016 11:54

Elizabeth,

Thanks very much for this ,
Can I ask how you found this ?
Would it be from the National Archives?

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2016 14:22

I wonder if any members have access to findmypast and could look up the record for Robert Mitchell as shown above please.

92nd Gordon Highlanders.
Pvt 1137.

thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Jul 2016 19:14

British Army, Worldwide Index 1871 Transcription
(Virtually the same as quoted by Elizabeth as above)

Robert
Last name Mitchell
Service number 1137
Rank Private
Unit or Regiment 92nd (Gordon Highlanders) Regiment of Foot
HQ location Jullundur, India
Notes At Fort Govindghur, India during April 1871
Year 1871
Country Great Britain
National Archives reference WO 12/9381
Period 01/04/1871-30/06/1871
Record set British Army, Worldwide Index 1871

Sorry - no image to compare with

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Jul 2016 19:19

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2469218

(above looks to relate to WO12/9381)

Chris :)

Jean

Jean Report 7 Jul 2016 21:21

Thank you both very much,

looks like I will have to order the copy from the link Chris gave me from the NA.

I am hoping that somewhere along the line it might mention next of kin then I will know if he is my man,

thank again

Jean

Jean Report 22 Oct 2017 17:54

Hello again,
still looking for any information on Robert Mitchell .

Have not been able to get to the NA to look at the records as shown above.

I have been looking on Ancestry and have seen records that can only be seen if you have Premium membership , which I do not.

So am wondering if any GR members who may have Premium Membership are able to look at the records for UK Naval and Military Courts Martials Registers 1806/1930 as there is a Robert Mitchell showing who was with the 92nd foot ( Gordon Highlanders ) .

Trial date was 8/4/1874 at Edinburgh.

Reference WO 86/23

Thank you

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 24 Oct 2017 11:44

I have an ancestor who was in the 93rd Reg't and have found out quite a bit about him on the Forces War Records site. I just took out a 1 month sub for about £8 so might be worth you trying that.

Sue

Jean

Jean Report 24 Oct 2017 13:29

Thank you for the information,
I will take a look on the website.

jean