Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Royal Marines

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Frank

Frank Report 16 Apr 2016 05:47

I am trying to find information about the 105th company of the royal marines in the period 1810-1815.
I have found from the navy Lists that my ancestor, Charles Moon joined the marines in Jan 1810 and was delisted on half pay in aug 1815, and that he was a 2nd lieutenant in the 105th company. He died in 1820 and I have his Will copy.. He was from Liskeard, Cornwall.
I cannot find anything about the 105th company of the Royal marine. I have searched the Navy Lists for 1810, 1815 and 1820 but cannot find any record of what ship he served on.
Frank :-

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2016 11:37

Have you tried looking for his service records on the National Archive site?

Failing that, try contacting the Royal Marines museum. The following link does have a 'contact us' button

http://www.royalmarinesmuseum.co.uk/research-and-collections/genealogy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Apr 2016 11:42

The only result for Charles or Chas Moon on the NA is

Reference: WH/1/6007
Description: Quitclaim.

Rob. and Edm. Moon, clerks in the Sea Policy Office, London, Anna and Dorothy Moon of Liskeard, sprs., Joan Rescorla of Liskeard, spr., and Wm. Moon formerly of Liskeard, now naval lieutenant (legatees and mortgagee).

Halbathick, Venslooe, Lady Park, left by will of Chas. Moon to his son Hen. John after legacies and mortgage paid out of estate.
Date: 3 Oct. 1825
Held by: Cornwall Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

http://tinyurl.com/zfdjo7t

Relates to the original Will or a different branch?

Frank

Frank Report 18 Apr 2016 00:13

Thank you for the reply. I had tried the NA site and found that quitclaim record thankyou. I have the full record and It does relate to my Charles' will, but only in respect to the way it affected his father Robert's will. I have not found any service records for him in the NA,
i had not found that Marines Museum contact and have now followed it up.

I understand that a Royal Marines company usually had two 2nd lieutenants and that most ships carried a royal Marines caompany, so I am puzzled why a 2nd lieutenand of a RM company would not have a ship nominated in the Navy list, particularly in the busy time of the Napoleonic wars.?
Thanks again
Frank