Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Philip Joseph Brougham 1853 Cork/India/Aus

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Craig

Craig Report 10 May 2016 02:32

I am trying to find detail on my Great Grandfather Philip Joseph Brougham. I have details of him being born in County Cork in 1853. The family story is that as he was growing up his mother would give money to the Catholic church while they would starve, so when old enough he joined the army and went to India. There are no stories how he ended up in Australia, but he married in Adelaide and had 12 children. My grandmother told the story that he was extremely strict and would have a long stick at the table and if any of them stepped out of line he would crack it onto the table as close as possible to the offending child!

So while this would all fit a myth of military history, i haven't been able to find anything looking at British Indian Army or perhaps the more likely East India Company Army. I looked online at a scan of an early Irish business directory and there was an East India recruitment office in Cork. I found only one Brougham in there, but then this was just businesses and those that paid to be entered i would think.

Any tips to set me straight thankyou.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 10 May 2016 17:34

The British Library
Oriental and India Office Collections
96 Euston Road
London NW1 2DB
United Kingdom
Telephone: 44 171 412 7873
Fax: 44 171 412 7641
Internet: http://www.bl.uk/
Email: [email protected]

You may need the help of a paid researcher,the above have lists of accredited people.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 May 2016 09:56

Craig .

Where exactly in the Co Cork was your great grandfather born as I can find no one to match the name/date you give...in fact the Brougham surname is not one found in the County Cork other than those who were of the "gentry" and " non catholic church" eg Rectors and Vicars.
Does his marriage Cert. to Mary give any indication of his parents...
It is possible that the spelling of the surname had altered over the years but even searching RC Records for a Philip/Philip Joseph 1846-1856 has not produced any results so far.

Craig

Craig Report 11 May 2016 11:42

I am having trouble placing where i saw it, but it is in a number of other trees on my heritage and ancestry where it just mentions County Cork, but of course that doesn't make it correct without the record. And i also cant find this Irish directory that i found a copy of online. It has genry etc and businesses and is constructed on county basis. I spent ages running through looking for businesses and only found one Brougham, that that was in Cork city itself. Just today i have made contact with a family member that has spent lots of time researching and even has a photo of Philip in his Military uniform. It will be a week or so before we catch up but should get more info from that. Will make sure to feedback anything i find.

Also we have a biographical index for SAust 1836 to 1885 and sometimes that shows arrival info. Unfortunately it doesn't but it has his religion as CE and that they married 1884 in Adelaide.

1887 he turns up in newspapers being at Teetulpa that was a gold field in Northern SA and later at the Holder settlement, where my grandfather was born. Later still he was at Unley in SA, where my mum remembers going and worked as a carpenter.

Craig

Craig Report 12 May 2016 00:47

I randomly googled and found this book that shows Rev. Brougham at Rathbarry in 1903. http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/history/batch3/cole_cropped.pdf

I think that appears to be Church of Ireland. I wasn't sure what you meant by "...in fact the Brougham surname is not one found in the County Cork other than those who were of the "gentry" and " non catholic church" eg Rectors and Vicars." The only reference i made to the Catholic Church is entirely family story passed down through generations... and you know how reliable that can be!

I will see if i can access the marriage certificate and report back.