Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Attestation record found, but no elistment record

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 16 May 2016 13:02

I have found the Attestation record for my grandfather. It lists a Army #, "Z"(T)Res, and notes "ONO.429.-ZE."

However I cannot find ANY other records for him. Zilch. Am I just looking in the wrong places. I have looked at findmypast, and forces-war-records just to name a few. I have come up with nothing. Not even anyone with his name.

My mum thought he may have been a Sgt Major in the Army Rats?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
L

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 16 May 2016 13:41

Attestation is usually done at the point of enlistment.

When is important.

WW1 about 70% of records lost during the blitz of WW2

WW2 documents still at MOD, not online, here's a link.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Can you give more details, name DOB, area etc.?

:-)

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 May 2016 12:32

Thank you. Knowing that attestation is at enlistment is great. He served in ww2 so i will be applying through MOD (im just waiting on the oldest living relatives approval).
Thank you for your time and sharing your knowledge.