Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Phillip Pulleyn (service no 1672466)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 18 May 2016 01:39

Hi i am looking for any information about my dads service in ww2. He was known as Jim and was in the RAF, his service number was 1672466 and early on in the war his rank was LAC. I would like to know what regiment he was in and where he served. His dob is 30 / 06 / 1922.
I would be very grateful for any information. Linda

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 May 2016 07:30

Welcome to GR, Linda.

Unfortunately WW2 records are still with the MOD. Here's the link to order them.
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

The set will cost £30 and could take some months to arrive. If he or his widow can sign the form, there'll be no charge.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 18 May 2016 08:45

The RAF is not like the army Linda.

Did your father talk about being in a regiment as the only regiment in the RAF is the RAF Regiment. The RAF Regiment was formed in 1942 to secure airfields.

Do you have a photograph of your father in uniform as that may give a clue to what he did? Some trades have flashes worn on the arms above the rank.

A RAF camp is made up of trade sections. Did your father have a trade e.g medical. He would be in a medical section of whichever RAF camp he was sent to.

The RAF post their service personnel individually and not part of a regiment as in the army so knowing what he did would not give you where he served.

Detective told you the way to go to find out about where he served.

Sorry there is no other way.

I am ex WRAF

:-)

Linda

Linda Report 18 May 2016 11:15

Hello, Detective & Patincyprus, thank you for the welcome and the quick reply's.
My dad died 24 years ago and my mum has dementia so cannot help with information now. I will try and find some photo's and will also contact MOD.

What a wonderful site this is, so glad i found it.

Linda

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 May 2016 12:23

Sorry to hear about your Mum's illness. As she is living, it's possible that who ever holds her POA/EPOA can sign on her behalf.
Check what is says on the forms; you may have to send a copy when you apply. You could end up saving £30 and possibly get a faster turnaround.

Linda

Linda Report 18 May 2016 13:43

Thank you Detective.
I have POA so i have printed the forms off and will get them sent off.
Thanks again. Linda