Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Naval Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2016 10:35

A general query linked to a research thread on FLR but relevant for any WW2 query.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1360519

If the poster were to send for the records, would it show the next of kin?
As he died more than 25 years ago, the MOD sites does imply that the full records would be available to non-relations.

On a seperate note, is it likely that a conscripted/enlisted for war service sailor have been promoted to PO or would that have been that restricted to career sailors?

Allan

Allan Report 19 Jun 2016 11:03

DET

Not sure regarding your first query, but as for the second, My uncle, who had been in the Territorial Army at the outbreak of WW2, enlisted in the Navy. At the end of his War Service he held the rank of CPO

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2016 11:28

Thanks Allan - that sorts that one out :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Jun 2016 11:41

The military records I have for my father and father-in-law both do show next of kin but I'm not sure if they all do. I suppose it depends on whether the person involved actually gave the information.

Kath. x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Jun 2016 14:14

Thank you Kath. :-)

Joy

Joy Report 21 Jun 2016 19:37

The military records that I have obtained have given next of kin.
As far as I am aware, records are available for relatives only still.

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Jun 2016 20:12

My sis-i-l sent for her dad's WW2 RAF service record - it showed n.o.k. and dependent children.

She also sent for her uncle's WW2 RAF service record - here she didn't count as a close relative, and there was no n.o.k. info, nor info on dependent children - there was a form letter enclosed saying abt respecting family privacy (or somesuch) - also, none of his extensive medical info was released - just the names of the hospitals he was in.

Both requests were made within the last 12 m.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jun 2016 23:27

mgnv - That's interesting that your Sis-i-l got a redacted version for her uncle. The website gives one of the clauses for application as

"you have a general research interest - you’ll only have access to limited information,
>>unless they died more than 25 years ago"<<<
the implication being that if they died earlier than that, you'd be sent a full copy of the records

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Did she send a copy of the DC or substitute, or did she assume it would have been noted?

If the full details had been unjustly withheld as per the government guidlines, would the Freedom of Information Act be pertainent?

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Jun 2016 18:30

DeT - I checked with my sis-i-l, and she sent xerox's of both d.certs, plus a xerox of her own b.cert to show kinship. Her uncle died over 50y ago, and my father-i-l died in 1973.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Jun 2016 18:34

Thank you for the update. Strange the site says differently to what actually occurred :-S