Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

!st World War

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Jun 2016 20:36

I have been trying to find out when my father enlisted in the Notts & Derby Regiment (Sherwood Foresters) possible 1916 his service number was 201965 or 207965 he was awarded the Military Medal in 1918 his name is Lawrence Roper and lived in Long Eaton prior to enlisting

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jun 2016 10:56

Would this be him?

Medal Index Cards Transcription

First name(s) Lawrence H
Last name Roper
Service number 201965
Rank Sergeant
Corps Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment
Service record Soldier Number: 201965, Rank: Sergeant, Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment
Archive reference WO372/17
Archive reference description Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards
Country Great Britain
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D4942678
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jun 2016 11:01

Medal Index Cards Transcription this is for the MM I believe but not seeing the original

First name(s) Lawrence Herrick
Last name Roper
Service number 201965
Rank Corporal
Corps Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment
Service record Soldier Number: 201965, Rank: Corporal, Corps: Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment
Archive reference WO372/23
Archive reference description Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals
Country Great Britain
Image link http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D6214650
Record set World War One British Army medal index cards
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from Great Britain

greyghost

greyghost Report 27 Jun 2016 11:05

Above are transcripts from Find My Past

Ancestry has scans of the original of Lawrence H - looks as though he was awarded the Victory and British Medals

Around 70% of WW1 Service records were lost, so there may be nothing else but the Medal cards to be seen online.

You could try the Regimental Museum to see if they have anything further, but it will probably cost you to find the information (or not find it)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Jun 2016 16:24

Same info posted earlier on a duplicate thread. It obviously wasn't deliberate as there's only 2 mins between them.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1360715

Unknown

Unknown Report 28 Jun 2016 20:18

many thanks to everyone who replied to my request for information about my fathers (Lawrence Roper) enlisting date and service I was not aware that many of these records had been destroyed thank you all

Thomas