Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing grandfather's army records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

51year59

51year59 Report 21 Aug 2016 20:35

Hi, I would really appreciate any help/advice on tracing my Grand Father in the 2nd world war. His name was Joseph Richmond 1907-1966, born and died in Keighley, West Yorkshire. He went in the army in 1940-1947. I think he was in Palestine but not 100% certain. Thank You.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 21 Aug 2016 20:46

Sorry but you won't find the records online. WW2 service records are still with the MOD, here's how to find out how to order them - they cost £30 and sometimes takes a few months for them to arrive.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

51year59

51year59 Report 22 Aug 2016 17:21

Thank you PatinCyprus :-)

greyghost

greyghost Report 22 Aug 2016 17:56

Answered in May - same advice
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1360175

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2016 10:09

If you're waiting for them to be released into the public domain, it won't be until at least 2039 or possibly 2046. The 100 year rule will apply.
As it is, you have to prove the person has died and if not closely related eg spouse or child, for at least 25 years to access the full record.