Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Name - STANWORTH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie-Ann

Julie-Ann Report 27 Sep 2016 14:01

I am new to this and wonder if anyone can help me trace some family members.

I have a copy of my Grandparents Marriage Certificate which states that my grandfather was a Private in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and his father (my Great grandfather) was an Officer in the 4th Army.

I have no information other than that. Can anybody help me please?

Regards Julie

safc

safc Report 27 Sep 2016 14:10

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1362359

Julie-Ann

Julie-Ann Report 27 Sep 2016 18:41

You very kindly provided me with details of John William Stanworths service details. Could you please resend.

Julie-Ann

Julie-Ann Report 27 Sep 2016 18:46

I am new to this and wonder if anyone can help me trace some family members.

I have a copy of my Grandparents Marriage Certificate which states that my grandfather was a Private in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and his father (my Great grandfather) was an Officer in the 4th Army.

I have no information other than that. Can anybody help me please?

Regards Julie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2016 22:16

Julie- Ann

Click on the blue highlighted hyperlink that safc posted above.
That will take you to your thread regarding relatives of Moses Stanworth.

Assuming you have another thread regarding John William Stanworth, click on My Trheads which you'll find to the left of the screen under 'Tools'. The result will be a short list of the threads you have created. Select the one which the service records are likely to appear on.

If you re-read your opening post, you'll notice that you haven't given any names or dates. Its not a lot to go on.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2016 22:21

OK - on the linked thread, you've posted

....According to the Marriage Certificate of John William Stanworth to my grandmother Linda B Tombs in 1942..

WW2 records will still be with the MOD. You can order a copy from them at a cost of £30 unless he or his widow can sign the forms

This is the link for obtaining UK service records:
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 27 Sep 2016 22:34

over 70% of WW1 records were destroyed during WW2 bombing. Assuming Moses 1883 served during the conflict, his might be amongst them.

This might be his medal card - they were stored elsewhere

Moses Stanworth
Regiment or Corps: The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers, Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 65418, 39989
Awarded the British and Victory medals

Same thing, different document

Name: Moses Stanworth
Military Year: 1914-1920
Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal
Regiment or Corps: Labour Corps
Regimental Number: 39989
Previous Units: 65418. Pte. R.W. Fus.

The British War Medal, 1914-18
This silver medal was awarded to officers and men of the British and Imperial Forces who either entered a theatre of war (an area of active fighting) or served overseas (perhaps as a garrison soldier) between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 inclusive.

The Victory Medal
To qualify, an individual had to have entered a theatre of war (an area of active fighting), not just served overseas.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/first-world-war-service-medals

Julie-Ann

Julie-Ann Report 28 Sep 2016 20:13

I have a copy of my Grandparents Marriage Certificate dated 1942 which states that my grandfather at that time was 24 years old and was a Private in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.

Safc above did provide me with details however it has vanished and I cannot find the information anywhere. I recall it saying that he served in Palestine between 1945-48. Can anyone provide me with more service details including his regiment or rank number.

Thank you. Julie

Julie-Ann

Julie-Ann Report 28 Sep 2016 20:15

To +++DetEcTive+++

Thank you so much for your assistance in helping me track down information which I have been unable to find myself. Much appreciated.

Regards Julie

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2016 20:46

As mentioned earlier, your Grandfather's WW2 service records will be with the MOD. If neither of your grandparents are still alive, you will have to pay £30 to order a copy.

Just click on this blue typing/link to open the MOD site. Then you can download the forms

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

As far as I can see, safc made a significant contribution on your Living Relatives thread, but did not give any details about John William Stanworth's military records.
Click on this blue typing to see what she and others have written
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1362359

There is nothing obvious about his war service on either Findmypast, Ancestry or the Commonwealth War Commission site. That is to be expected as records for those who survived the war are not yet in the general public's domain ie searchable on the internet.