Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stars in Battledress

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DollyP

DollyP Report 23 Mar 2017 12:56

My Uncle Jack Albert Piper was a member of Stars in Battledress and sang at several events. He was a Gunner in the Royal Artillery, stationed in France in the 1940s, and only just escaped the terror of Dunkirk. I am trying to find out as much as I can about this period of his life. Does anyone else have memories of relatives in "Stars in Battledress" please?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 23 Mar 2017 17:33

Can't help I'm afraid - I had never heard of them but there is information on Wikipedia:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stars_in_Battledress

Kath. x

DollyP

DollyP Report 23 Mar 2017 17:45

Thank you for the link, Kath. I'll check it out.
D.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 24 Mar 2017 16:38

There are lots of (too many to mention) 1940s articles in the newspapers about the Stars in Battledress and their performances that might help. They make interesting reading.

Cheshire Observer - Saturday 16 December 1944

PARTY COMING TO CHESTER
The army concert party, the 'Stars in Battledress' is coming to Chester on Sunday 7 Jan to give a performance at the Gaumont Theatre, in aid of the Royal Artillery Benevolent Association, Western Region. The 'Stars in Battledress' followed the invasion troops on the continent and gave the first performance in Normandy on 'D' plus six. After a tour of the Normandy battlefields, they went into Holland and at Rossendall the followed hard on the heels of the Germans, so closely that the 'Stars in Battledress' opened on the Monday night in the theatre where a German concert had performed on the previous Saturday.
There are many famous artists in the company. In addition to the 'Stars in Battledress' one of the best bands in the Army, the RA (Portsmouth) will contribute to the programme. The concert will begin at 2.30pm.

DollyP

DollyP Report 24 Mar 2017 16:50

Wow! Thank you, AustinQ. I'll certainly be spending time checking out some newspapers.