Military Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Abraham Owen North Gloucestershire Militia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 10 Apr 2017 16:46

Hi I am wondering if someone can give me some help please.

I have been researching my husband's family.

I have found a William Owen born around 1798 in either Girland Drogheda Ireland according to the 1861 census or Dublin according to the 1881 census.

With the help of lovely people on here a marriage was found in

Wyke Regis Dorset between Abraham Owen and Eunice Bryon 26/2/1798.

It is thought Abraham was serving in the North Gloucestershire Militia see details

North Gloucester Militia

In 1792 they were recalled and moved to Plymouth and in 1795 were at Weymouth. King George III was also at Weymouth and the battalion was granted the title of 'Royal'.

When the rebellion broke out in Ireland in 1798, the Royal North Gloucestershire Militia volunteered to serve. They moved to Pill, near Bristol, and sailed for Dublin....

They then marched to Drogheda but saw no action...

.........April 1799 the battalion returned to England

What I am trying to establish is why would Eunice have gone over to Ireland too? Did women work alongside the soldiers

Is there anyway I can find out more details as to where exactly William was born?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Maddie

Maddie Report 13 Apr 2017 13:30

William Owen

in the Web: Gloucestershire, England, Overseers Index, 1615-1888

Report issue

Name: William Owen
Birth Year: abt 1799
Residence Year: 1804
Residence: Stonehouse
Reference Number: P316 OV 3/4/205
URL:

This record is not from Ancestry and will open in a new window. You may need to search for the record when the web page opens. For more information on web records, click here.

You will need to log-in or register to save this record to your tree.