Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Search boards by surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trixie2

Trixie2 Report 8 May 2011 10:22

I used to be able to view messages on the 'Trying to find' board using just the surnames from my surnames summary. Is there a way of doing this on the 'Find Ancestors' board without searching for each individual surname please?

Persephone

Persephone Report 8 May 2011 11:33

It is annoying - you can enter the surname or two names in the keyword box at top but if you are say looking for someone with the name Kent you will also get all those that have Kent as a place of birth etc. But it does narrow your search down.

I think GR might want to rethink this one.

You have choice above, search trees or ask for help or as you say traverse the threads forever.

Persie

:-(

Trixie2

Trixie2 Report 8 May 2011 22:40

Thanks Persie, I thought I was going mad! I don't think I will be looking in too often if that's the case :-(

Trixie2

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 8 May 2011 22:53

Trixie2 it would be a shame that the loss of the surname search facility stops you from looking in and wonder if the advance search facility could be of use instead. :O

Persephone

Persephone Report 9 May 2011 10:48

I agree with TF the advance one could be of help.... I have used it to find where someone had mentioned something on a thread and I was trying to remember what else they had said.
I hadn't thought of using it for name searching but one should try out every avenue one can Trixie2.
I was trying to find an ancestor and I got zilch until I put her full name with quotation marks in google and I got her and her siblings and dates which sent me off on my next search. <3

P xx

Trixie2

Trixie2 Report 9 May 2011 19:30

Thanks for your replies and advice TootyFruity and and Persie. Where do I find advanced search please? Is it in search records or search trees? I have tried those but the search doesn't come up with any results for the message board - am I looking in the wrong place? I have also tried putting surnames in the find ancestors board and the results it brings up don't appear to have any connection

This is so frustrating, I can't believe there is no easier way of searching message boards, I keep thinking I must be doing something wrong :S

Thanks for your help with this!
Trixie2

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 9 May 2011 19:34

Trixie2 Advanced search is in your tools. On the left hand side of the board below the board names. Just below My Threads. This will search the message boards.

Good luck with your research

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 9 May 2011 21:33

I think maybe GR disposed of the surname search because so many people were replying to old messages and it was causing a lot of confusion:S

The best way to find possible relatives and family connections on here Trixie, is to put the name you are researching into the Search Trees box to see if anyone else is researching the same family. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner.

Hope this helps. Cx. :D

Trixie2

Trixie2 Report 10 May 2011 17:41

Doh! How could I have missed that! Thanks TF for pointing it out. I feel a bit silly now :D

Thank you all for your patience!

Cynthia, I sometimes search trees but people ask questions about someone they haven't added to their tree yet so I like reading the posts too but thanks for the tip - I will probably search trees more often now.

Thanks again everyone!
Trixie2