Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Genes Format

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 1 Aug 2012 17:31

I was appalled when I came on to the site today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The background is so so white,the boxes on the tree are pale and anaemic.After five minutes I found myself squinting,it is so hard on the eyes.Please please revert to the previous format.I think I might have to move my tree to another site.it was bad enough when the previous change was implemented but that at least looked professional and was member friendly.

Colin

Colin Report 1 Aug 2012 17:43

I have already cancelled my auto renew. How did anyone think that going from a good reliable design to this mess was good business.

View other trees does not work other than the first few names and I cannot be bothered to waste any more time when I cannot trust my the safety of my data here.

Such a shame as they used to have a very good product. :-(

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 1 Aug 2012 18:53

Horrible horrible horrible. I cannot look at for more than 5 mins without my eyes hurting whereas when I first started on my tree I spent hours on it with no problem.

My tree now looks something from a School project not a professional piece of research any more-all that time wasted.

I have cancelled my Auto renewal & cannot beleive this company is so arrogant it keeps ignoring everyone's pleas & suggestions and just carries on regardless.
How fitting that they publicise the Titanic today, that was something else that sunk due to lack of attention to detail and ignoring warnings from elsewhere!

Gee

Gee Report 1 Aug 2012 19:01

I like it!

Sorry you are having trouble with it

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Aug 2012 19:21

I like the general look of the site but trying to read anything is like trying to read whilst someone is shining a light your eyes

I have tried altering my settings for brightness but that also dimes down the printed text so i still have the problem of straining my eyes to read which then leaves me with a headache after abt 10 minutes

I did say that on the feedback to GR when doing the beta testing

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Aug 2012 19:59

New look is brilliant.

To get the best results, make sure you fill the page. Hold down the Ctrl key and move your mouse scroll wheel so the page fills your screen without any left right scroll bar at the bottom.

Same advice applies to all websites, not just GR. Adjust it to fill your screen and you will be surprised how better it looks.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 1 Aug 2012 20:03

IGP, I beg to differ if i zoom in on the page it just multiplies the brightness problem

Roy

Gee

Gee Report 1 Aug 2012 20:32

No no no...fill the page if you have sight problems?

But I guess its down to the individule

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 1 Aug 2012 21:58

Zooming in the way IGP suggests darkens the print and aggravates the brightness problem.

I have increased the font size and made it readable without changing the colours. Now that I can see it without straining my eyes, I quite like it.

I also notice on the tree that the bright red numbers have become purple - much better.

Treehunter

Treehunter Report 2 Aug 2012 10:39

I agree with you Wendy, I found i had to come off site in the end as it was hurting my eyes to much in the end

But do like the new look Just few things need sortting.

Havent looked at tree yet. But have heard its not good and want the old one back.
Hazelx

Angela

Angela Report 2 Aug 2012 12:56

Is there a walk-through for the new site?

I agree the white is too much and does hurt your eyes after a short time :-|

And I don't wear glasses...yet!

Ang x

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Aug 2012 13:03

Angela They have updated their FAQ which include how the new/updated functions work

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs

Roy

Angela

Angela Report 2 Aug 2012 13:05

Thanks Roy, I will find my sunglasses and have a look now :-D

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Aug 2012 18:41

I love the new look, imho it looks more professional after the extremely childish looking old site

What white????????????

I did the beta testing and never saw it then either apart from one time on my shared works pc where the guy that uses it before me has the brightness set at 100%, I never have brightness that high. If you calibrate your pc monitor correctly you shouldn't need it that bright in any case.

I never saw any difference in size of font either, and I tested the 2 sites side by side on a large monitor, the only difeerence, and I see they have changed that was the new site the font was more grey in colour, now it's black.

I can't comment on the tree though as I don't use the tree here

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 2 Aug 2012 19:23

I'm another one with "old eyes" and am having great difficulty with the new look. I simply can't stay on the site as long as I used to. Too much of a strain.

Had to laugh though at the email I just received from GR announcing the new look. They posted some of the feedback they'd received, as follows:

Some feedback!

I have just looked at the new site - I found it clearly explained and easy to navigate. I look forward to working on it soon.
I like the advanced search and quick search boxes, good colouring and very clear! Nice!

Beryl

Beryl Report 2 Aug 2012 19:25

I agree the white is to bright and tiring on the eyes.

I would like to see the old tree back as the new one does not work for me.

The view of trees you can only see the first few and then nothing regarless of what you do to try and see the rest.

Gee

Gee Report 2 Aug 2012 20:37

Patricia

Me too....maybe we are youngsters on here ;-)

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 3 Aug 2012 07:44

Oh good! I like it too - does that mean I qualify to be classified as a youngster???

:-D :-D

Barbara

Barbara Report 3 Aug 2012 08:59

:-( I don't like the new tree, looks like a childrens product. I think we should have options as to which tree we want to view. I was happy with the old tree, didn't like the last tree and this is worse. Cancelling my renew membership.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Aug 2012 09:26

Nice to see a few positive comments about the new tree on here. So very unusual.

Me, I am one of the large majority who hate the new tree with an intensity that goes far beyond normal hatred. And so many seem to be doing what Barbara is doing - cancelling automatic renew and removing our membership when it expires. It would be nice to get a refund of my last 6 months till my annual renewal in Feb 2013, but suspect thsi is out of the question.

Perhaps we are all Luddites, unprepared to learn these wonderful new systems. All I know is that my blood pressure goes through the roof every time I even try to look at this new tree. And if someone thinks they have a hot match with me I cannot anymore check it out or help them. I simply open my tree for them and explain why I have no idea if it is a match or not. And have a rant about the totally deaf GR Team.