Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James Rorey

James Rorey Report 21 Jun 2013 10:32

It would make life so much easier if there was a capability to find children born to identified parents. In other words if you know Joe Blogg married Mary Blogg maiden name Potter in 1810 in Gotham City County Bling UK, and you supplied these details on a search page it would search for any children born of this marriage with these criteria.
I know this would take a lot of programming but the end result would make searching so much easier.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Jun 2013 14:54

As this information would have to be gleaned from the actual certificates I cannot imagine it would be a cheap task.

You would be looking at every birth certificate from September quarter 1837 to some time in 1912.

And the cost of this would have to be passed on, to us! And at 9.25 per certificate now I cannot see anyone wanting to pay more. Especially as the last price rise was from 7.50 to 9.25 and this caused an almighty row within the genealogy community.

Yes it would be easier for all of us. But the cost implications would make this prohibitive. And the staff to do this. At present the GRO is self-funding, so a task of this size would be prohibitive for them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2013 10:30

This isn't anything which can be dealt with by GR, who take their records from other sites...................and, frankly, it is something of a pipe-dream, in any case.

Consider......carefully....exactly what such an exercise would entail........then do the costing.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jun 2013 11:58

Reggie - Great Minds ......

Graham

Graham Report 26 Jun 2013 14:01

When searching the birth records on FMP you can put a surname and mothers maiden name to search for. If you don't put any forenames it will show you all the results for people with the same surname and same mothers maiden name. You can also narrow the search by county and time period. So it is doable. ;-)

jax

jax Report 26 Jun 2013 15:17

You can do that on other sites aswell Graham...but only from the 3rd qtr 1911 when mothers maiden name was added to the index

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jun 2013 17:33

such a facility is available on some of the county bmd sites ............

....... but only sporadically until after mid-1911 when the GRO records showed for all registrations.

Lancashire bmd is particularly good .................. but, as I said, sporadic. Sometimes only 1 record out of 100 will show the mmn

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Jun 2013 12:56

Graham

That applies to every BMD site after 1911, when the GRO system changed.....................including freebmd, for which no payment is required

It can't be done on FMP before 1911

As Sylvia so rightly points out, some of the County sites do include MMN in earlier years.........

The BEST for that is GlosBMD.........where the volunteers have transcribed every registered birth with MMN...................and linked spouses on every marriage

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jun 2013 19:29

oh!

I wish I had any rellies in Glos!!!

but none of them seem to have ever gone there!

and I thought Lancs was good!

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 28 Jun 2013 15:36

Think I had better send a friendly message to James to tell him of his replies! :-)

James Rorey

James Rorey Report 29 Jun 2013 18:46

Thank you to all the people who replied. This was more of a statement than a request. I was just saying life would be so much easier for the poor searchers if this facility was available.
Most of my rellies are from Scotland and each search on SP costs credits. Also all the family members I am looking for were pre 1911 census.
I do appreciate those who took the trouble to reply.
The reason I got involved in my family tree was my great grandfather was adamant he was related to Henry Cooper. He married Alice Barton 1889. Her father was Joseph Barton 1850 from Kent who married one Isabella Taylor 1858 from London. If there is a link I am sure it would be through her as she was from the same area where the great Sir Henry was from. I am lost at Isabella Taylor now as I can't find any family for her. If anyone know this family or if Sir Henry had Taylor relatives I would love to hear from you.
Thanks Cynthia for alerting me to these replies. Happy hunting all you good researchers, each family needs someone to stand up and map out our history. It could soon be important.
Kind regards
Rorey