Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Re: Finding contact more easily by surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Bryan

Bryan Report 23 Oct 2014 20:28

Hi,a As a former database compiler, operator who ran a system that was not on the basis of a Microsoft program I could enter a suppliers name & instantly get the supplier in an instant. Thus not requiring to roll through endless contacts names in order to find the one I wanted quickly without taking too longer a time & effort especially if one is visually impaired. In this day & age speed is essential, the days of yesteryear are not an asset required any longer than necessary. Databasing processing has come on leaps & bounds since I was tapping the keyboard every day in the early 1990's. T

Take note improvement comes at a price, either you update more quickly or intelligent family tree researchers will go elsewhere to do their researching. Mov e with the times, a slow lane today is a non-profitable company of to morrows world.

Kind regards, windywillows00

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Oct 2014 11:47

Whilst a great idea, does not take into account the idiosyncracies of the human mind!!!

I have ancestors from Battersea, SW London and also from Battersea, Surrey. Same place, but boundaries change.

Then there is the question of dates - we here in the UK commonly use the format of day/month/year, while our cousins in the US commonly use the month/day/year format.

Then the old question of spelling.

I have Costa in my tree, but even with siblings they spell the name differently. I have some who use Costa, and others who use Coster.

So unless people are forced to conform to a set format, there will always be problems.

And as for speed being essential. This is a hobby not a race, taking your time to check records to ensure you have the right people is far more important that finding records a.s.a.p.

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 22 Dec 2014 15:28

Hi Bryan,

It would be useful if you could PM me some examples.

Regards,

Shelley

jax

jax Report 23 Dec 2014 14:04

As Bryan is new and never came back two months ago, maybe you should PM him Shelley as he may not realise he has replies