Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

wrong transcription of information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 14 Jan 2016 22:56

Hi. I have been looking for a relative of mine Dorrien Nora Godley born in East Grinstead in December 1914 with no success. However a birth search shows a Corrina N Godley who has the correct mother in the first quarter of 1915.. When I clicked on the original document I found her listed as Dorrien. Any chance of getting this corrected

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2016 00:33

practically none .............. at least through GR

They use the transcriptions from their sister site FindMyPast

You need yo go to FMP and see if you can get the transcription changed by them

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2016 00:34

For future reference .................. you should email support at GR in future

They rarely look on here ...... the only ones who do look are members like yourself and we cannot help you, only make suggestions

email

[email protected]

Kense

Kense Report 17 Jan 2016 18:37

The correct name is given in freeBMD

Births Mar 1915 (>99%)
GODLEY Dorrien N Thomsett E. Grinstead 2b 223

The fact that it was registered in the first quarter of 1915 does not mean she was not born in 1914..

It is a good idea to use freeBMD if you can't find someone in the GR records. Many here would use that in preference to GR except for births later than about 1970.

Kense

Kense Report 25 Jan 2016 14:37

I say the correct name is shown of freeBMD as the name Wendy gave (which I take to be correct) is the same one that freeBMD gives.

Of course the GRO lists contain errors and freeBMD is aligned to that so it will have the same errors.

It looks like this particular error is the fault of GR/FMP transcription.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2016 19:09

ah ................

so you got the usual email response from GR :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jan 2016 20:26

they've been saying that "we're looking into it" about things that we complain about for literally years!

GR cannot make the changes because they use the FMP transcription and do not have access to do it ....... so if FMP don't accept they have made a mess of it, then nothing will be done

Can the very small GR support convince FMP much larger one that they made a mistake????

now, that could be the million dollar question!