Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
Building your Family Tree
When you've registered, you'll be automatically taken to the Home page. Click on the 'Family Tree' option at the top of the page.
We've put together some useful information to help you start researching your family tree.
Your tree will begin with your own name. From there, the best way to build your tree is to start working backwards.
· Add the names of relatives by clicking on the 'Add' button found below a name in your tree.
· You’ll see options to select Add Child, Add Partner, Add Mother/Father or Add Sibling.
· Once you’ve added the details to your tree click on 'Save'.
· Follow this link to read more about how to build your tree.
If you’re adding children to your tree, you must add at least one parent.
· In the case of illegitimacy or if you prefer not to display the parent's identity, we suggest you add the parent as Unknown Unknown or something similar.
· It’s not mandatory to add a year of birth, but you can estimate this and then tick the box to show it’s not accurate.
You can add more than one partner to a family member, and you can attach different children to those specific partners.
· When viewing the Family Tree page, select the name you want to add partners to.
· Select 'Add Partner' and fill in the boxes with the details that you already know.
· Once you’ve added the details, save the changes.
More than one partner / change parents?
If someone in your tree has more than one partner, and you’ve added a child to the wrong parent, here’s how to correct this:
· When viewing the child's details in your tree, click on the 'Edit' button.
· Scroll down to the Relationships section on the Details box that will open on the right hand side of the tree page.
· Click on the 'Change' tab beside the incorrect parent's name.
· Start typing the correct parent's name and click on it when you see it appear. Then save the changes you've made.
When viewing your full tree, you may sometimes see a relation duplicated if they've had more than one partner.
· We do this so that you can easily see their different relationships.
· They'll only be shown once in the immediate view of your tree though, but you’ll see them attached to each partner.
Made a mistake?
If you’ve made a mistake, simply click on 'Delete', which you'll see just below the relation's details.
· You can only delete a name from your tree if it’s at the top or the bottom, or has no other branches attached to it. For example, you can remove or delete the child of a relation.
· You’ll see a message saying you can’t delete a relation if other names are attached to that person. You’ll need to look at your tree and either remove names from the bottom upwards or from the top down.
If you’ve added someone to the wrong parents and the correct ones are listed elsewhere in your tree, here’s how to amend this:
· Locate the relation in your tree and click on the 'Edit' tab in their name box. This will open their details page on the right hand side of the tree.
· Scroll down to the Relationships section and click on the 'Change' tab beside the incorrect mother/father.
· Start typing the right parent's name, then click on the correct name when it appears and save the changes.
· Repeat the process for the other parent, again saving the changes.
Want to correct something?
Click on 'Edit' below the name of the relation in your tree. You can then amend the mistake and save the changes.
· You can also click on the tab with two arrows on the top right hand side of the tree page.
· This will open the ‘Edit Details’ panel, where you'll see more fields where you can add or edit information.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
New Scottish Records
Do you have Scottish ancestors?
Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.