Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- I need an instant password reminder/ I can't login
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How do I stop my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I get a password reminder?
- Trouble signing in/ login details not accepted
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything?
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address?
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- How much does it cost?
- How can I pay?
- How do I cancel my subscription/ renewal payment before it is due?
- How do I change the card I pay with?
- When will you renew my subscription?
- Why has my renewal payment failed?
- I would like a refund of the payment that I made
- I want to change my subscription
- I'd like to pay by cheque
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- How do I print out my family tree?
- Why can't I see all of my shared trees on my dashboard?
- Why can't I see the 'Save' tab on my details panel?
- Why am I returned to the root person when I search for a name in my tree?
- How do I add a name to my tree?
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details?
- How do I edit details already in my tree?
- How do I remove someone from my tree?
- How do I change the parents of someone in my tree?
- How do I change my root person/tree owner?
- Where are my relation's photos and notes?
- How do I view other trees?
- How can I view the records I've attached to my relations?
- What is the List view?
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Searching all records - NEW!
- Where are the Parish records? NEW!
- Scottish Census records
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Migration records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- How much do records cost?
- Ordering certificates
- What are the Electoral Roll records?
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Saving the records
- Reporting errors with records
- Searching the census - UPDATED
Hot Matches randomly takes 50 names from your tree, excluding common names such as Smith and Jones, and matches them with names on other members' trees. We also match the year and place of birth. You can then contact the member to see if you might possibly be related.
Super Hot Matches are a way of providing you with closer matches for names in your tree. Super Hot Matches match relations in other members' trees whose name, year of birth and parents match relations in your tree, providing a stronger match than normal hot matches. Occasionally you will find that there are no Super Hot Matches when you know there should be. It is simply because they haven't been picked up by our system. However, you will probably find that the Super Hot Match will be picked up in the future.
When you view your Hot Matches, you'll see a column that says 'In my contacts?'. If it says 'yes' then it means you have already been in touch with this member. To check your correspondence with them you just need to go to Messages and look at your contacts. You should see them listed and copies of all the emails you have sent to each other.
If there aren't any matches for you, you won't get any, but you should see a message on your homepage to let you know that we haven't been able to find you any matches this time.
If you decide you don't like Hot Matches at all you can just unsubscribe from them on the My Account - Email preferences page.
Download our eBook
Whether you're new to family history or you've been researching your tree for some time, download our free eBook for hint and tips on how to get the best out of Genes Reunited.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
New Scottish Records
Do you have Scottish ancestors?
Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.