Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
When you go to 'Search' on your homepage and select 'All viewed items' from the bottom of the dropdown menu, you can see details of all the records you have viewed. You can save copies of these to your Favourites page. When you are viewing the transcription of the record you'll see the option to attach it on the right hand side of the page. If you are viewing the actual image then the option to save the record to your favourites will be at the top of the page. From the My Favourites page you can also attach the image to someone in your tree.
By adding them to your Favourites you can then easily locate all the records that contain your family. Not only that but you can also add those records that might be a relative, but you’re still not sure. You’ll be able to go back later and easily find them to double check in case there is a link. You can view what you've added to your Favourites by clicking on 'Search' on your homepage, then on 'My Favourites' at the bottom of the dropdown menu.
There is no limit to how many records you add to your Favourites. To make it easier, we have added in a ‘surname’ column so that you can see which family the record is for. If you hover your mouse over the record type a small box will open telling you the name of the relation and their year of birth that this record refers to. On the Favourites page there is also a link to add the record to a relation in your tree.
You’ll see a column giving you the date when your access to that image will end. After that you’ll either need to buy more Pay-Per-View credits or renew your subscription.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
The British Newspaper Archive
Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?