Help Centre - Frequently Asked Questions
Complete FAQ Listing
- How do I delete my tree?
- How do I import or export a gedcom file?
- How do I print my tree?
- How do I unsubscribe?
- How do I view trees that have been shared with me?
- How much are pay-per-view credits?
- I have forgotten my password
- What is the Keepsafe?
- Where are my Hot Matches?
- Why isn't the clipboard working?
- How do I get a password reminder? (UPDATED)
- I am having problems signing in (UPDATED)
- I have multiple registrations with my email address, do I need to do anything? (NEW)
- Why can't I create another membership with my email address? (NEW)
- How do I update my details?
- Please remove me from your mailing list
- I want to delete my registration
- I seem to have more than one registration
- How do I update my message board profile?
- How do I make the text bigger or smaller on my screen?
- Online safety
- What is the Keepsafe?
- What can I add to my Keepsafe?
- How do I add something to my Keepsafe?
- What file types do you accept?
- What are My Folders?
- What are edit, attach and move?
- How do I attach an item to someone in my tree?
- How do I share an item with another member?
- How do I search the photos and media?
- Can I add someone else’s item to my Keepsafe?
- Can I add records to my Keepsafe?
- What happens when I attach an item to a relative?
- The image I want to see is blurred.
- Can I print out items from my Keepsafe?
- Old tree - can I still access my old tree ? NEW
- Old tree - removed why? NEW
- Unable to view the whole of the dashboard NEW
- Unable to see the whole of my details panel NEW
- Unable to search my tree NEW
- Adding a relation to my tree NEW
- How do I save changes after I've added a relation or amended their details? NEW
- Editing names in the tree NEW
- Deleting a relative in my tree NEW
- Changing parents on tree NEW
- How do I change my root person/tree owner? NEW
- Where are my relation's photos and notes? NEW
- How do I view other trees? NEW
- My tree won't load NEW
- Tree error 503
- Where are my attached records? NEW
- Why can't I see the 'View other trees' link?NEW
- List view-what is it? NEW
- Deleting your Family Tree
- Building your Family Tree
- Viewing your Family Tree
- Printable Charts
- Living relatives
- Printing your Family Tree
- Privatising your Family Tree
- Tree permissions
- Which Census records do you have?
- Scottish Census records NEW
- Which BMD records do you have?
- Which Military records do you have?
- Which Parish records do you have?
- Which British Newspapers do you have?
- Which Travel and Overseas records do you have?
- British Newspaper Archive
- Scottish and Irish records
- Using the Birth/Marriage/Death records-UPDATED
- Searching the census - UPDATED
- Attaching and removing census images
- Automatic matching
- My Favourites
- How much do records cost?
- Where's the Search Records tab? - NEW
- 1871 census information for Wales
- Reporting errors with records
- Ordering certificates
- Saving the records
When you are searching for relatives in the census we’ve tried to do some of the work for you. On the transcription page you’ll now see various options.
As well as being able to view the actual census image you can copy the details of the transcription to your clipboard and add them straight to your tree. You can copy the details for up to 20 relations. All you need to do then is go to your tree, click on clipboard, select the relation and then paste their details to your tree. You can also attach the record to someone in your tree or save it as a favourite if you want to refer back to it at a later date.
At the bottom of the ‘what next’ list we also show you some helpful matches. We take the name and year of birth of the relation as it appears in your tree. We then show you matches with that name in other trees and matches in the previous census. This will help you to take your tree even further back.
If the census matches we offer aren’t correct you can always amend your search in the box on the left hand side. You could try searching a few years either side of the year of birth, or you could just search for a surname and a place of birth.
Trace your living relatives
Whether you want to trace living relatives, plan a reunion or find out how to use Genes Reunited to find family links, download our guide for more information.
Build your family tree
You can build your family tree for free so be sure to add as many names as you can. Contact other members who have added the same names as you and watch your tree grow.
Our YouTube channel
Every family has a story
Lorraine Kelly launches the Every Family Has a Story campaign by sharing hers exclusively with Genes Reunited. Watch some of our incredible stories, including Lorraine's, on our YouTube channel.