Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Elizabeth Wright nee McCuskey b 1844 Ireland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 21 Jun 2019 15:25

I could do with some help in finding a death for Elizabeth McCuskey ( various spellings

Elizabeth married John Wright 1867 Bridgeton, Glasgow.
They had 3 children Henry, b.1868, Mary b 1871 and john b 1873.
I have all the information on their 2 sons Henry and john with a lot of help from GR

members in the past . I have all census, marriages and deaths for the 2 boys.
Sorry still don't know how to cut and paste, but the boys lived at various times in Kirk street , Calton, Glasgow with various relatives.

Elizabeth and her daughter Mary are last on the 1881 census living at 74, Kirk Street with Elizabeth's brother Felix McCluskey but I cannot find either of them after this date.
I have been on Scotlandspeople so many times looking for a death for Elizabeth I have gone cross eyed .

Her husband John Wright b. 1845 in Annan, was a master mariner ,I have all his records from various vessells from 1864 / 1887.

John remarried in 1888 to Lilias (Lily ) Low, his marriage cert. shows he was a widower .John died 1894 on his death cert shoes again widower but no name of 1st wife.

I figure if I could find Elizabeth's death it might help me to find daughter Mary, re address and who signed death cert .
Any help would be greatly appreciated ,

regards
jean

Maddie

Maddie Report 21 Jun 2019 16:30

??????

Name: Mary Wright
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Relationship: Servant
Where born: Glasgow
Registration Number: 644/7
Registration district: Blythswood
Civil Parish: Glasgow Barony
Town: Glasgow
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 197 Bath St:
ED: 64
Household schedule number: 53
Line: 12
Roll: CSSCT1891_269
Household Members:
Name Age
James Cowan Woodburn 50
Marion Dunn Woodburn 48
Helen Dunn Woodburn 24
Mary Head Woodburn 24
Marian Kansas Woodburn 8
George Hoggan Woodburn 7
Marion King 31
Mary Wright 20

or

Name: Mary Wright
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Relationship: Serv (Servant)
Where born: Glasgow, Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 644/4
Registration district: Calton
Civil Parish: Glasgow St James
County: Lanarkshire
Address: 123 Green Street
ED: 24
Household schedule number: 41
Line: 5
Roll: CSSCT1891_255
Household Members:
Name Age
Matthew Taylor 53
Jane Robertson 78
Mary Wright 20

Name
Mary Wright
Estimated Birth Year
abt 1870
Relationship
Boarder
Where born
Glasgow
Registration Number
622/1
Registration district
Maryhill
Civil parish
Maryhill
County
Lanarkshire
Address
23 Belfort St
Occupation
Laundry Worker
ED
Household schedule number
Line
Roll
CSSCT1901_240
Household Members

NameAge
NameAlfred Kemley
Age23
NameAnnie Kemley
Age24
NameElizabeth Kemley
Age2
NamePeter Kemley
Age5 Mo
NameMary Wright
Age31

me
Mary Wright
Birth Date
10 Aug 1870
Birth Place
Calton,Glasgow,Lanark,Scotland
Father
John Wright
Mother
Elizabeth Mccuskey
FHL Film Number

safc

safc Report 21 Jun 2019 16:39

Record Transcription:
1881 England, Wales & Scotland Census

74, Kirk Street, Barony, Calton, Lanarkshire, Scotland
What can I do with this record?
Attach this record as a source to a person on your tree. Also update people and relatives with details from this record
Household Members
Members that resided in the household at the time of the census.
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Sex Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Felix McCusky Head Unmarried Male 40 1841 Shop Man In Fruit Trade Ireland
Elizabeth Wright Sister Married Female 37 1844 Domestic Duties Ireland
Mary Wright Nephew Unmarried Male 12 1869 Scholar Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Mary Wright Niece Unmarried Female 10 1871 Scholar Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
John Wright Nephew Unmarried Male 8 1873 Scholar Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland

Jean

Jean Report 21 Jun 2019 16:49

Thank you both for replying,
Maddie,
I did look for a marriage for Mary at the address in Calton to Matthew Taylor , only because it was in the Calton district but no luck , not my Mary. As for the other census you show, I really can't be sure and have spent so many credits on SP already looking for Mary i thought it would be easier if I could find Elizabeth' s death to see where she was living, but thanks again.
That is the birth for Mary in 1870.

safc,

Thank you for showing the 1881 census

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2019 13:54

For helpers' ref:

Earlier threads about this family, although not specifically concentrating on Elizabeth;

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1228606

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1364469

Jean

Jean Report 22 Jun 2019 15:06

Thanks for that ArgyllGran,
Still looking but still nothing on Scotlandspeople, thought it would be easy with surname McCuskey ( variants )and Wright also variants but not so,

Anyway I will keep looking ,

regards

jean

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jun 2019 20:03

Have you thought that perhaps John was NOT a widower when he married Lily???

It was not any more unusual for marriages to break up back then than it is now, except that people were stuck. It was all but impossible for them to obtain a divorce.

I've seen many cases where a couple separated, maybe moved out of the area maybe not, but then one or both "re-married".

It was of course a bigamous marriage ............. but a person was not asked then (or now I believe) to produce evidence that they were indeed single or widowed. I certainly wasn't in England in 1967.

I'm assuming that was also the case in Scotland.

In other words ................ extend your search for Elizabeth's death to years AFTER John re-married. Maybe even look for a "marriage" for her.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Jun 2019 21:24

With that in mind, we can rule out this death, as this Elizabeth is also listed as McLachlan:

WRIGHT
ELIZABETH
644/4 563
Calton (Glasgow)

None of the Elizabeth Mccluskey (or similar) deaths 1881-91 is matched by a Wright death.

There is no marriage of an Elizabeth Wright 1881-1891 which matches any surname of an Elizabeth 1843-5 Ireland in the 1891 census in Glasgow.

And it's too common a name to find her if she moved away from Glasgow.

Jean

Jean Report 22 Jun 2019 21:40

Thank you both,

Yes I did think about John lying on his marriage certificate so widened my search then found the son Henry's marriage in 1912 which showed his mother Elizabeth to be deceased, and still nothing even then for Elizabeth .

ArgyllGran,
thank you, I did look at this death in Calton as most if not all the McCluskeys married and or died in the Calton district.
Also looked at one in Gorbals, St.Rollox, and Blackfriars.

Anyway I will have to leave Elizabeth and Mary for tonight as grandsons are staying over and if I don't go to bed they think they don't have to either.

thanks all again

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Jun 2019 22:47

I've also seen where a parent has been declared dead on a marriage certificate but hasn't been ............ if Elizabeth left the family, maybe the sons were told she had died?

My great grandmother and one of her daughters are not found with her family on any censuses after 1891. Grandfather never mentioned any of his family, and I didn't ask questions while he was still alive.

But I searched for years to find her death between 1891 and 1901 or for some sign of the daughter.

Then someone on another site where I asked questions suggested that I look at an "Annie" with the same surname on the 1901. It was her, with her daughter, working as a housekeeper. By 1911, the 3 of them were living in another suburb of the city.

I think I have found her death in 1927 ............ now need to get the certificate.

Elizabeth MIGHT have gone with Betty???

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 23 Jun 2019 06:33

https://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1370878

(can also remember references on above, with 1881 posted, and below info.)

Chris :)

ArgyllGran Report 3 Mar 2018 16:25

????

Elizabeth Wright
in the Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, Electoral Registers, 1857-1962
Name: Elizabeth Wright
Residence Year: 1884
Address: 60 Kirk street
Residence Place: Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Parliamentary Division: Glasgow

There's also a Margaret McDonald , dealer, at 74 1/2 Kirk Street.
and a Mrs Margaret McCluskey at 23 Kirk Street
and a Mrs Margaret Butler, butter & egg dealer, at 19 Kirk Street.

Don't know if any of those are relevant?
Each one is listed as "tenant and occupier".

EDIT:
They're all still at those addresses in 1885.

Was John still at Kirk Street, in 1888, on his Marriage Cert., what number?...

Jean

Jean Report 24 Jun 2019 11:29

Sorry for late reply,
Thank you Chris Ho,
John was at 8, Black Street, St.Rollox district on his marriage cert. and at 82, Millarbank street when he died.

Thank you SylviainCanada,
I did a search onScotlandspeople with no christian name just going with the surnames Wright and McCuskey ( variations )but nothing showing.

Jean

Jean Report 24 Jun 2019 11:44

Chris Ho,
I have a Margaret McCluskey who was Elizabeth's sister and Henry and John Wright( Elizabeth's 2 sons) were living with her in 1891 and 1901, she was married to Daniel Butler who died in 1881 .
Margaret Butler was Elizabeth's cousin and married to John McDonald.
Sorry it's all very confusing with my lot .
i think a lot of the women reverted to their maiden names after the husband died for some reason .

Just checked my tree and Margaret McCluskey is shown with her married name on 1891 and 1901.