Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leahy in Melbourne

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 21 Jul 2019 15:43

Hi, I'm trying to find out about my paternal grandmother and more importantly, her parents. I have very little information on her. Her name was Ailsa Lynette Leahy, and was born in 1936/37 *Possibly* 29/12/1936. She had my father, Stephen John Leahy, on the 11/07/1953. I'd also be interested in knowing who is stated as my fathers father.

From what i understand, she spent part of her childhood as a ward of state in victoria, i believe it was a convent.

She had atleast 4 children, Stephen Leahy (my father), Justine (or chustine), Wayne - who was adopted out and Geraldine who was born approx 1965/1966 .. i believe they came in that order, and from what i understand there could have been others.

I know she married a New Zealand merchant sailor called Gerald Croucher (Geraldine's father)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James Leahy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2019 15:56

She could be alive, so be careful

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jul 2019 16:00

Welcome to GR, James.

This could be a tricky one to unravel. Assuming everything took place in Australian & NZ , our search is hampered by the records having quite strict closure limits on them.

Are you in contact with your father? He should be able to apply for a copy of his BC. If he was known by the same name as his mother, the chances are that no father is named to accept paternity.

Was he adopted? If so, has he applied to access his file?

James

James Report 21 Jul 2019 16:00

Information i have from Geraldine (possibly) her youngest daughter is that she passed away in NSW between 1996 and 1998.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jul 2019 16:04

Assuming most events took place in Victoria, these are the closure rules. Other States will be slightly different, but not by much.

Births 1853 100 years before today's date
Marriages and relationships 1853 60 years before today's date
Deaths 1853 30 years before today's date
Church baptisms, marriages and burials 1836

https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Jul 2019 16:07

Can Geraldine give you any information about her parents marriage? Your grandmother’s parents, if known, should be named on the certificate.

James

James Report 21 Jul 2019 17:41

It seems, after looking at my fathers ward of state records, he may have been born in Mildura, NSW.

Geraldine was also a ward of state for most of her life, and it is very difficult to get accurate answers out of her due to her being given inaccurate information and her unwillingness to talk about her mother.

It seems that the maternal grandmother to my father was called Mrs. Tilburn/Pilburn and had a sister in Cosgrove Again in other documents dated 21.1.59 she is called Mrs. P. Layther

It appears that Ailsa had a sister that lived in Cosgrove, Mrs G. T Cleave.

It appears that Ailsa may have been in Fairlea gaol around/before 1955 for indecent language.

James

James Report 29 Jul 2019 06:13

Ailsa Lynette Leahy
Father: Leonard Leahy
Mother: Evelyn Pearl Leahy nee Thompson
According to Ailsa's marriage certificate to Lawrence McKenzie